adjust drum brake on Mazda?

I'd like to adjust rear drum brake on Mazda. 97 model right rear failed inspection and I'd like to fix as I am on budget and can no afford to pay for this service to be perform. Please inform me how to do this procedure thank you

Reply to
Jimmy R

Is this a Protege ???

I just replaced the rear brakes on my daughter's 97 Protege.

After installing the rear brakes, the adjustment was loose and the pedal was low. I did not have to test it since I know from experience.

After replacing the shoes, you use the emergency ON and OFF about 20 TIMES.

Still not tight enough - REPEAT the process.

THAT is the adjustment.

There is a ratchet setup at the rear shoes and that ON and OFF sets it tight to the drums if the parts are NOT corroded.

Reply to
Conase

|I'd like to adjust rear drum brake on Mazda. 97 model right rear failed |inspection and I'd like to fix as I am on budget and can no afford to pay |for this service to be perform. Please inform me how to do this procedure |thank you

What you probably need is to take the automatic adjusters off, clean, lubricate, re-install. I would recommend you do both sides. Replace any hardware that looks the least bit questionable. Then follow the adjustment procedure outline by the other poster.

Reply to
Rex B