Advantage of Multi-Color Taillights?

In a mailing list I belong to, one of the other members commented how much better European taillights are than "American" taillights becasue the Eurpopeans use amber signal lights. Is there any basis for this belief? I've never had any trouble identifying the intention of other motorist in US despite the single color tailights. Are there any credible safety studies that compare mono-color tailights (red running, signal, and brake lights) to the European multi-color style?

Regards,

Ed White

Reply to
Ed White

imho, red means Stop, amber means Caution - directional signals should be amber

not to mention the improved visibility

Reply to
nospampls2002

Can't say I know of any study that support this, but I know it has caused me trouble when a car didn't have amber turn signals. I drove in LA rush hour for two years. A car ahead of me turned on his left hand turn signal. Oops, no he was pumping his brakes to give me warning of slowing traffic up ahead but his right bulb was burned out, so it looked like he was making a left hand turn. This of course was pre-85/86 model car without the center light. That has helped, but I've seen cars with that light bulb burned out also. Just one time it would have helped me not have to make a panic stop.

Reply to
Theodrake

I'm sure there are - paging Daniel Stern - but I don't have cites offhand. But from a purely logical standpoint anything that reduces ambiguity can't be all bad.

Of course, this implies that the driver actually bothers to USE the signals...

nate

Reply to
N8N

You've got THAT right, Nate! They don't use the lights very much in the rain or in dark weather around here. Giving a signal would be an insult to one's masculinity.

Heck, the people here don't even stop at a red traffic signal before they turn right. You would have thought that the Darwinistic effects would have been noticed by now.

Reply to
<HLS

There's no standardization even with the same manufacturer. Honda seems to use both amber and red turn signals. Personally - I think amber takes out the ambiguity, unless the driver is color blind.

However - I've got a Subaru with a clear lens/reflector and amber 7440 bulbs. Those things are near impossible to find. I ended up ordering several from DS.

Reply to
y_p_w

Even if the driver is colourblind, amber-directional/red-brake takes out the ambiguity. The "red" and "amber" colour specs are very carefully designed to be differentiable even with the most common forms of colourblindness.

Interestingly, most debates around rear directional colour centre around conspicuity and clarity of the directional signal. The primary

*demonstrated* advantage of amber rear directionals compared to red ones is that following drivers react significantly more quickly and accurately to the _brake lamps_ on a vehicle equipped with amber directions (Sivak & Flannagan, 1995).

DS

Reply to
Daniel J. Stern

It's obvious. A flashing yellow tells you the person either has their hazards or is turning. A red light tells you they are braking. Two colors that tell you different things. A single red light to do all of these things is a dumb way to save a couple of bucks.

--------------- Alex

Reply to
Alex Rodriguez

Ford's regulatory lobbyist responds to your argument (and mine) thusly: "The turn signal is the only lamp on the back of the car that flashes. Therefore, it doesn't have to be a different color."

Reply to
Daniel J. Stern

Unless the driver is hitting the brakes and then releasing them. Using a different color for signaling can reduce identification time by precious seconds.

Reply to
AZ Nomad

If this country adopted the beliefs and rules and upkeep of the roads and weight limits of it as an example ; Germany .

Our country would be bankrupt.

Reply to
dansecat

Is Ford the only US manufacturer arguing against multi-color rear taillights? I know that in the past Ford has sold vehicles with multi-color taillights in the US, so I guess they must be legal in the US. Is the cost really that much different? Seems to me that some of the stranger rear taillight arrangements have to be pretty expensive. I was guessing that styling was a more significant factor than cost in the desire of US companies to stick with mono-color rear tailights.

Persoanlly I have no problem with the mono-color taillights. And I wonder if the US changed the rules to require them if it would create a lot of confusion, at least for us old folks. At least now I know the back ends of cars have red lights.

Ed

Reply to
C. E. White

Not by a long shot!

They are legal in the US, Canada and Mexico. Required in almost every other country in the world, for 30 or more years now. US manufacturers (and US operations of 'foreign' automakers) like to play with rear turn signal color as a styling cue. Whee! Let's treat safety devices like toys!

Can be, but doesn't have to be. There are LOTS of ways to implement amber rear turn signals. Some of them cost no more than the cheapest US arrangement presently allowed (red brake/tail/turn, white reverse). Some of them cost more (all-red appearance with amber turn, red tail/brake, white reverse).

You react faster and more accurately to the brake lights on a vehicle that has amber rear turn signals than on a vehicle that has red rear turn signals -- even if you don't consciously realize it -- and the effect is magnified with increasing age.

Er...huh? Cars have red taillamps and red brake lights all over the world. The only difference is that in North America, the rear directionals may be red OR amber. Elsewhere in the world they must be amber.

Reply to
Daniel J. Stern

Hmm. I wonder if that holds even when the amber rear directional isn't visible as amber when it isn't lit.

Reply to
Matthew Russotto

And everyone more sensible is struck dumb by the idiocy of that argument, and so are unable to respond.

Reply to
Matthew Russotto

Yep. Guy wears a shit-eatin' smirk when he says it, too.

Reply to
Daniel J. Stern

Good question. Not tested, to my knowledge. I would imagine the effect is still present, but possibly not as strong and/or with delayed onset.

Reply to
Daniel J. Stern

You think that frequent resurfacing is cheap? Think again. I wouldn't be surprised if the crappy roads in IL actually cost more per mile than autobahn.

Reply to
Brent P

Single red taillamps weren't really a problem until the makers started using SEPARATE same-color (red) bulbs for brake and turn signal. The flashing red turn signal can get lost in the red brake light when viewed from a distance. Back when the brake light went OFF when the turn signal took over, this wasn't a problem.

Reply to
Steve

If it DOES hold up in the study, that only proves that the study is somehow flawed or the result is within the statistical error bars for the study.

Reply to
Steve