Aerostar ABS/Brake light?

Hi, I have a 1992 Aerostar, and the rear ABS (RABS) has quit. I thought it was the brain, but a replacement brain does the same thing (lights the ABS and BRAKE) warning lights.

Does anyone know how I can jumper around the ABS brain to get the 'BRAKE' warning light off? It might be a while before I figure this out and I'd like that warning light to work for the brake fluid level, parking brake, etc. like it should. I assume there is some connection through the ABS brain that triggers it. I can disconnect the ABS brain and the ABS light goes off but not the 'BRAKE' light.

Thanks,

-Joel.

Disclaimer: Any opinions above are mine and not those of my employer or anyone else.

Reply to
Joel Frahm

Have you checked the fluid level sensor in the master cylinder reservoir? If this is bad (or the fluid is low), it will trigger both lights.

Regards,

Ed White

Joel Frahm wrote:

Reply to
C. E. White

Probably not a good idea. The fact that the ABS malfunction has turned on the "BRAKE" warning light as well probably indicates that the problem is one that could affect the base brake system as well, so just jumpering around it is not likely a good idea.

Reply to
Robert Hancock

Thanks, yes I have checked the level sensor, etc. The brake system works normally, except the rear ABS is dead. It's been dead for some time now and the van is sort of a beater at this point and not worth much of an investment. It's retired from winter driving too. I never really felt the rear ABS was that great in the van, it's probably more useful on the pickup where the brake balance shifts more.

Anyway it'd be great to have some warning if the conventional brake system fails. Naturally it'd be better to fix the RABS but I think that's too ambitious for this van. Rear ABS was an option that came with the tow package, I think, so it's more of an option than a saftey requirement IMO.

-Joel.

Disclaimer: Any opinions above are mine and not those of my employer or anyone else.

Reply to
Joel Frahm

The rear ABS sensor is cheap and easy to replace. Maybe you should check it out.

Ed

Joel Frahm wrote:

Reply to
C. E. White

I don't think it's the sensor, as that also controls the AWD which still works. Also the ABS warning comes on right away, if it were a sensor it would come on after I've driven a few feet (if you are not moving there is no AC voltage from the sensor.). Also if that sensor goes out the AWD light would flash a code. Since the warning comes on within a few seconds and without moving, I believe the pump has failed the self test. Someone also suggested a bad Delta P sensor on the master. I'll pull the codes this weekend... I remember trying to once before but I don't think I ever found the diagnostic connector for the RABS module.

Thanks Ed,

-Joel. Disclaimer: Any opinions above are mine and not those of my employer or anyone else.

Reply to
Joel Frahm

Reply to
C. E. White

That's what I was thinking. If the awd system waited for the wheel speed sensor it would take longer for the awd to kick in when you needed it.

Plus, if it only has rear abs, the computer doesn't have anything else to compare wheel speeds front and back. So it might be able to tell that the rear axle is spinning, but it doesn't know if the front axle is spinning or not (to know if the rear wheels are spinning and it needs to kick in the front wheel drive).

Reply to
Clem