After removing rust Putty or Prime.r

I have removed rust from a section at the rear of my vehicle down to the bare metal. Do I now have to apply putty first and then primer before the top coat. If I have to apply putty first which putty do I use there are a number of different putties.

Also what is the correct primer to use over the putty if the putty is needed.

Thanks in advance Denny B

Reply to
Denny B

Bondo autobody filler, sand down to 400 grit or finer, scratch filler if necessary, then automotive primer, then wet sand with 600, then paint, then clear coat. You can skip some of the sanding if you don't need it to look real pretty.

Reply to
paint8oy