Aftermarket gauge set advice...

Hello all,

I would like to install some aftermarket gauges on my old Ranger, but the one's that our local auto parts stores have just look like toys to me. While I definately want an oil pressure guage, I figured I'd go ahead and add a "tripple" set and get engine temp and alt charging as well.

Any suggestions as far as trusted brands, quality issues, install tips, or even which gauges you'd install are appreciated. (I've seen some sets that let you customize)

The Ranger is an '86 w/ 2.9L V6 that has about 130,000 orig miles on it. I'd like to keep it forever.

cheers

Powell

Reply to
Powell E. Barber

VDO and Stewart Warner are good quality gauges.

Reply to
Jim

On my Chevy SS-10 pickup, I installed an Auto-Meter dual gauge pod on the a-pillar. This is a good way to go on a small truck where you don't have a lot of room to clutter up a dash with gauges. You could install a triplepod and route the wires down through the dash and out the firewall, that way you can hook the lights into the fuse box on the way out to the engine compartment. A quick search turned up this:

That's just an example of what I'm talking about. You should find one for you application easily. Good luck. People sleep peacefully in their beds at night because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf......George Orwell.

Reply to
Mark Pilcher

I used autometer Z-series gauges, because they blended well with the rest of the instrument panel. An ammeter (alt charging) can start a fire if installed improperly or something jolts loose. If you're hell-bent on an ammeter make sure to learn your alternator's maximum amp output rating...installing an ammeter with too low a rating can also start a fire. A voltmeter and manifold vacuum gauges would be my recommendations instead of the ammeter, and the OP gauge is still a great idea. The engine coolant temp is still a good option if you could fit it somewhere else. Tap the voltmeter source into a FUSED ignition-only power line (an accessory line, for stuff such as the radio, if it's available), so it's not active all the time and thus doesn't drain your battery.

I was thinking of buying VDO before I chose autometer. Remember the oil port on the engine might be rusted shut so it might be the most difficult installation. I would recommend using a mechanical oil pressure gauge instead of electrical, since it's much more accurate.

I made my own backing plate out of 1/8" steel from the rear cover of an old oven. Cut the gauge holes out first, then the square dimensions, sprayed rustoleum black satin, and looked better than anything at the store.

Dan gauge page:

mod front page:

dstvns

I use Autometer in my race cars, if they stand up there they will do a good job in a street application. I use mechanical, since I like the perception that I am actually measuring the temp or pressure, but electrical sensor type may well do you just fine. Voltage is more important than amps, for charging system, as far as I'm concerned. Safer, too.

Cheers, Brian

Reply to
Brian

I recommend installing a voltmeter instead of an ammeter. Ammeters are a pain to install due to the heavy wiring involved and may actually cause problems. None if this is tru for a voltmeter.

As to how to do it, I did it like this:

Which are pictures I took while installing a voltmeter gauge into my Escort. As you can see it looks like it came with the car!

Reply to
Childfree Scott