Aftermarket Traction Control

Does anyone know of an aftermarket traction control for a 2WD that would use the ABS system & brakes to essentially create a posi/locker rear end?

The vehicle in question is a 2003 Ford E350. The only traction control systems I've seen cripple the engine when a wheel starts spinning. I want something that will increase traction by applying the brake to the spinning wheel.

I've looked into lockers & the ones available would require that I switch to a 4.10 differential. I really want to stay with the 3.73 for better mileage.

-Jeff Deeney-

Reply to
Jeff Deeney

Have you looked at

Regards,

Boris Mohar

Got Knock? - see: Viatrack Printed Circuit Designs

Ontario

Reply to
Boris Mohar

Actually, that's a pretty unproductive way to do it too when you think about it - I won't say that it's uncommon. Years from now we'll laugh about the crudity of this arrangement.

Reply to
Jimmy

Yup. My local racing shop said he's seen more than one of the noslips grenade. The Dana 80 is not a listed application. I'm also leary of the funky handling caused by powering the inside wheel in a corner, and the effects of throttle during cornering.

I'm planning on pulling a 6000# trailer & don't need any further handling weirdness or reliability concerns.

-Jeff Deeney-

Reply to
Jeff Deeney

Agreed. But for the .01% of the time I actually need it, it would be the best solution. A full time limited slip would be less efficient, and not as effective.

-Jeff Deeney-

Reply to
Jeff Deeney

I hear you. I just find it incredible that we apply the brakes to regulate traction while attempting to accelerate :-)

Reply to
Jimmy

Why is that so hard to believe? Remember that an open differential applies the same amount of torque to both axles. If the brakes are applied to the spinning wheel more torque will be applied to the wheel that still has traction. Takes a while to get used to but works pretty well. Bob

Reply to
Bob

I'm not saying it doesn't help resolve the issue - but we pay to generate the energy to accelerate the car then we burn it off by applying the brakes and wasting it. Kind of foolish. It's like having a home A/C unit that cools too much so instead of cycling the unit we leave it on full time and bring in hot air to reduce the cooling effect.

The only reason they came up with this solution is that the ABS systems are already there to accomplish it and a truly variable torque system would cost more.

Reply to
Jimmy

Yes, but how often would this system actually be in effect? The amount of energy wasted in infitesimal. Even for an anal-retentive mechanical engineer like myself.

If you're really worried about braking loss, all cars should have regenerative brake systems. In stop & go driving, huge amounts of energy are wasted in accellerating & braking.

BTW, I'm still waiting for someone to design my aftermarket traction control system. With a man-month of spare time, I could probably build such a thing. The poor-mans solution is to install manual levers to the parking brake cable on each side.

-Jeff Deeney-

Reply to
Jeff Deeney

Hi, Jeff. Can your rig possibly run tires that are ~10% taller, in conjunction with the 4.10:1 gear? ( If my math is correct: 4.10/3.73 is

1.099, or 9.9%). I know that often the math works fine on paper, but it may cause your rig to flip over on concrete! Just my 2 cents----and 'sometimes' worth every dime! Have a good 'un and a good Christmas. sdlomi
Reply to
sdlomi

Stephen Bigelow

|> The vehicle in question is a 2003 Ford E350. The only |> traction control systems I've seen cripple the engine |> when a wheel starts spinning. I want something that will |> increase traction by applying the brake to the spinning |> wheel. |>

|> I've looked into lockers & the ones available would |> require that I switch to a 4.10 differential. I really want |> to stay with the 3.73 for better mileage.

I'm amazed that there is not an aftermarket solution for positrac with 3.73. Why won't the posi unit fit the 3.73 carrier, if the differentials are interchangeable? Rex in Fort Worth

Reply to
Rex B

There are a couple different posi's for the 3.73. It's lockers I can't find for a 3.73. I'm just about resigned to installing posi. One of the things that spooks me are stories of posi's grenading more often when towing heavy loads. I'll be pulling a 6000# travel trailer. The idea of an open differential except when I decide not to use it is also appealing.

Any thoughts on one brand over another? It's a Dana 80 axle. Eaton posi is available for low $400's.

-Jeff Deeney-

Reply to
Jeff Deeney

Personally, I wouldn't be afraid of a clutch-type posi. They are quieter than a locker. Never heard of one exploding, but all my experience is in road-racing applications, not towing. AFAIK most 4wd posi's are clutch type. Have you looked into Torsen-Gleason units? Rex in Fort Worth

Reply to
Rex B