Air bubbles in blead fluid??

I have been bleeding,changing, or flushing the brake and clutch hydraulic fluid on our two older cars which I due every 5 years or 50000 miles. We used to use the two person pump the pedal and hold until the bleed screw is opened and the pedal is near the floor then close the bleed screw method. Which is done until the fluid color changes and no bubbles show. I lately have been using a power bleeder which uses vacuum to the open bleeder screw, to suck the fluid out which makes it an easy one man job. One problem though is that bubbles appear in the fluid from air leakage around the bleed screw when it is opened. I have tried packing a putty around the screw threads which sometimes work for a bit, but not for long. The question being is there any way to stop the air seepage around the bleed screw threads? I have upon occasion used almost a quart of fluid to be sure all the air is out of a repaired system, and I still do not feel confident. Any suggestions or hints??

***************** Thank You snipped-for-privacy@msbx.net

To reply to this email please remove the AT after the kgs in the reply to address as shown above.

"Can't we all just get along" Quote from Brett G

Reply to
KG

KG wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

Remove bleed bolt. Wrap a turn of teflon tape around threads, then put back. Do not get teflon tape on the angled portion of the bolt.

If your car's shop manual specifies five-years for brake fluid changes, I'd be very surprised. I'm used to more like two- or three-years. Ours get done every year, but then I'm fussy with stuff like that.

Reply to
Tegger

fluid on our two older

pump the pedal and

close the bleed screw

lately have been using

out which makes it

from air leakage

the screw threads

any way to stop the

a quart of fluid to

confident. Any

Just bleed until the fluid color changes. You're unlikely to have much or any air in the system unless you've opened the system or let the reservoir drain dry. If you don't feel comfortable with this go back to the two-man method.

Reply to
dsi1