Air Conditioner Rattle/Ticking after belt change

I have a 93 Ford Probe. Just changed the overly worn belts and now I have an annoying rattle/ticking coming from the passenger side (where the belts are). The A/C always worked excellent before this belt change. Now it is just average (sometimes intermittent) and the noise suddenly showed up. It only makes the noise when the A/C is on and the car is idle. If I give it enough gas to push it past 1K the rattle quits. I am pretty certain the belt(s) are tight enough. Could they be too tight?

Anyone have any clues as to what this could be and how I could fix it?

Thanks!

Reply to
Bob

First queastion: What kind of belt did you replace with? A known good brand, or a generic, discounted brand? s

Reply to
sdlomi2

Did you replace the tensioner as well...pretty common practice to do so.

How are yopu pretty certain the belts are tight enough.

Reply to
John S.

Is the belt the same width as the one you took off?

Professor Check out FlashAlert at...

Professor

The belts are CarQuest... junk?

The belts feel snug, don't slip when pulled and I checked that they were no more than .25 - .5 inch "bend". I think that is what I read was a rule of thumb.

Not sure what the tensioner is exactly but (if it is what I think it is) I broke the bolt that faces the front of the car on the inside of the power steering assemb. I think it is what allows you to apply more tension to the whole setup, then you tighten the main bolt. Yes? I broke it by over tightening it while the main slot/swivle?? bolt was not loose enough. I have been watching the location of the main bolt on the slot and it does not seem to be moving... Maybe this is my whole problem???

I asked the counter guy for the exact replacement belts and put on what he gave me. Honestly, the belts I took off were worse than worn so I may have not been able to compare them if I had even thought about it. I'm surprised they never broke!

Does that help? Obviously, I need to deal w/ the broken bolt.

Reply to
Bob

Sounds like the a/c belt is loose or, as others have said, you have the wrong or a low quality belt. Put the old a/c belt back on and tighten it appropriatley to see if the noise goes away.

The decreased cooling makes me think the belt is slipping. Even if the belt just slipped for a few minutes it will glaze and be ruined. Chances are you need to replace that one again at this point regardless.

Steve B.

Reply to
Steve B.