Air conditioning compressor guesstimate on 2000 RAV4

I live near Tampa, FL.

My wife has a 2000 Toyota RAV4 with about 109,000 miles on it. It sounds like the bearings in the a/c are starting to squeal a little, and she's talking about getting another car rather than face that repair bill. I think this one will last a lot longer, but can you give me a ballpark cost to repair the A/C? In my past experience, there are other parts that have to be replaced too, typically, but just a guesstimate of the cost would be a help.

My theory is, if the car costs less to repair/maintain than a car payment, we should keep it a while longer.

Reply to
victrolafreak

Depends on if it is a pulley bearing or an internal compressor issue. Does the noise stop when the a/c is turned off? The compressor on that vehicle is pricey. If the compressor has to be replaced I would guess you are in the 1k range for repair when all is said and done.

Be careful where you take it for repair. We have a lot of shoddy a/c shops down here. If you don't mind going over to Clearwater and need a recommendation I have a couple of places for you.

If the car has been maintained and is otherwise in good shape it should easily be reliable for another 100k miles. If she is tired of it and wants a new one that is one thing, but there really isn't anything that can wrong with that vehicle that would cause me to junk it at this point in its life.

Steve B.

Reply to
Steve B.

Thanks Steve! A grand is about what I figured. I agree, she can get another

100K out of it. It's her m>>I live near Tampa, FL.
Reply to
victrolafreak via CarKB.com