AIR CONDITIONING PROBLEM???

when i use my air conditioning theres are times, frequently enough to get worried this could be a bigger problem at a later date if ignored!, when the car feels jerky; as if im tapping the gas pedal and also the air conditionings output will feel sputterry, like its stuttering. both problems occur at same time and both cease when i turn off air conditioning. any advice will be appreciated!!ty

Reply to
02civic

The system is low on refrigerant causing the compressor to click off an on. Take it in and have it repaired / recharged as needed.

Steve B.

Reply to
Steve B.

sounds likely. thnx 4 the advice,il look into having this done....PS ive seen do it urself recharge kits at autozone/pep boys. worth it? or better 2 go 2 a garage? thanx again.

Reply to
02civic

Better to go to a garage where they have a good set of gauges and can see the low and high side pressures. With those you see in the parts store you just get a guesstimate low pressure gauge.

What make / mode / yearl car are you dealing with?

Steve B.

Reply to
Steve B.

02 honda civic....bought recharge kit and its gauges say more freon not needed. theres also a strange mildewy smell which results in sore throat after breathing it in 4 awhile.
Reply to
02civic

You could have other issues but I would start by getting the charge checked by pro. Those little gauge on a can things are about as accurate as spinning in a circle three times and pulling a number out of a bowl.

The a/c evaporator (the part in the car) condenses the water out of the air while it cools. The water is supposed to drip outside but the drain can clog and things in that area generally stay wet and get mildewy. The a/c shop should have something to spray in there and take care of that too.

Steve B.

Reply to
Steve B.

If a Civic A/C system can even engage (high side pressure over a certain threshold), then it will remain on until the evaporator gets cold enough to change the evap temp sensor's state. If his system was low on refrigerant it would tend to stay on continuously. Excessive high pressure or temp could cut operation, as could a slew of electrical or clutch problems. They do not pressure cycle like CCOT/ accumulator systems.

A bad temp sensor or evaporator that is thermally insulated with matted debris (so that it cannot absorb heat) will cause quick cycling if the system is at proper charge.

Toyota MDT in MO

Reply to
Comboverfish

Hmmmm... and a matted evaporator would also add to the mold and mildew accumulation giving the smell and sore throat complaint he also has. You might be on to something there!

Steve B.

Reply to
Steve B.

Before my old Dearborn home window unit air conditiner kicked the bucket two years ago, that old unit was about 35 years old. (of course I bought a new air conditioner two years ago) I think it was Packard that had the first auto air conditioners on the market in 1939.Geez, you would think after all of these years auto air conditioners would have been improved enough so that they would give almost no problems at all for many years.I think the experimental ROVAC air conditioner for autos was a great idea, no refrigerant to worry about.It's like those cheap plastic wheels on my walk behind lawn mower, a new wheel at the Wal Mart store cost me about $7.00.The auto air conditioning industry needs to wake up. cuhulin

Reply to
cuhulin