Air filter

When I wanted to look at the air filter in cars of the past, I think I just had to remove a wing nut to remove the filter cover, and the filter would be lying there loose, to simply take out. But when I look at a 2002 Ford Focus, I see at least six screws that seem to need to be removed to open the filter cover. Are they trying to discourage people from taking frequent looks at their filters, or what?

Reply to
Tom Y

Mike Walsh

couple of reasons for changes. One is different shaped air filters, such as rectangular ones. And, regardless of shape, the filters are sealing better against unfiltered air leaking around filter. There are good gaskets and they need to be mated to a flat surface well.

Yeah, on all cars they are a bit harder to change, but the talent of the designer involved determines how MUCH harder. Some are not bad at all. Since most folks now get their filters changed by someone else, it isn't as big a requirement to keep it simple.

Reply to
Don Stauffer in Minnesota

Is it a 2002 Focus, or a 2003? A 2002 Focus has a conventional air filter with snap type retainers on the cover. Some 2003 Foci (with

2.3L I4 PZEVengine) have a lifetime air filter. Leave it alone. See
Ed
Reply to
C. E. White

"C. E. White" wrote in news:46432241 @kcnews01:

It's 2002. If it has a snap type retainer, does it also have 4 screws or bolts holding it down, and 2 more on the side for the air connector? And it somehow snaps open with those screws or bolts still in place?

Reply to
Tom Y

After further review, it looks like I was wrong, the 2002 Focus does use four screws to hold down the air filter box cover. No snaps, just screws. Sorry for the incorrect information. See

. Ed

Reply to
C. E. White