Air Suspension Pontiac Montana 2003 PROBLEMS

I have an air suspension system that seems to go on too frequently and make too much noise. Figured I'll pull the pump and look it over. There are two very thin (maybe 3/16?), hard lines going to the two shocks, which I assume are the air lines, and there's another thicker, softer hose going to the pump with a tee connection that seems to be rotted. It appears that the pump assembly is what seems to be a motor and another with what looks like a compressor piston housing and cooling fins, and then what looks like a solenoid, which I assume is a valve and check assembly. It also has an outlet on it that's a plastic nipple covered with dirt that doesn't look like it's ever been connected to anything. I'm guessing the soft plastic hose goes to that "accessory compressor" feature in a panel inside the van.

Am I right about these details? And does it seem like this soft hose being a total loss might be introducing a leak into the system that's making the pump work overtime keeping the suspension leveled?

Could anything else be wrong with this leveling system?

Any input appreciated!

Reply to
gmark

There is quite a bit about this system on the web. Diagrams, too. From the diagrams, it looks like the large hose is for the tire inflater. Block it off if you don't use it.

Reply to
Paul in Houston TX

I've seen articles and diagrams, but neither of them are detailed enough to answer those questions. The diagrams I've seen are pretty sparse.

I also see a tube sticking out of the top of the rear transfer case right in the top center that has what seems to be the end remnant of a hose that was connected to it, with a compression clamp.

I have no idea whether that would go to the pump or what it might go to, since I've never noticed it until I pulled the pump, and it doesn't seem to affect operation.

I have a subscription to alldatadiy, but their diagrams leave a bit to be desired as well.

If you have a link to some you think will help out with either of these, please share!

Thanks!

Reply to
gmark

that's a broken vent hose. Totally unrelated to air suspension

GW

Reply to
Geoff Welsh

See if these will help. The diagrams are GM service manual.

Follow part #5 (hose) from motor to tank then to Tee.

Paul in Houston TX