Airbag light blinks at startup (Cavalier)

According to owner's manual at

sounds like normal operation, which you may not have really noticed before. See page 3-23 where it says: "This light will come on when you start your vehicle, and it will flash for a few seconds. Then the light should go out. This means the system is ready"

"If the air bag readiness light STAYS ON after you start the vehicle or comes on when you are driving, your air bag system may not work properly."

Reply to
Retired

(04 Cavalier) Looking for what I think is a problem in the ignition switch wiring, I pulled the airbag fuse before taking the shrouds off the steering column. I did not disconnect the two airbag connectors near the base of the column. (The book says to do this, but doesn't say why. I guess maybe I should have.)

Now, with the fuse back in, the airbag light on the dash blinks 7 times every time the car is started, after which it stays off. My guess is it's just declaring a stored code, and will eventually clear on its own.

Any info would be appreciated.

George