Alignment Question

Makes perfect sence

When dealing with toe (front or rear) The number you want is total toe. This determines if the car will wear the tires. If the toe is "in" or "out" it will not cause a pull unless it is waaaay out; but then it would be more of a steering problem, not necessarily a pull. You always start with the rear of a car to do a proper alignment. Generelly set camber first as this majorly effects toe settings; then finish off with the toe. (some cars you do bothe settings at the same time)

(those numbers were off the top of my head, the point being that if the total toe was at specs, the car was OK) Total toe is the tire wear issue, the factory sets it to the cars setting (most of them "0" to "20")

The 90's series Ford escorts only have one adjustment for rear toe on one side. You set "Total toe" and lived with the thrust angle being off. Unless the thrust angle is excessive you won't see or feel it in the drivability of a car; but I do perfer to set this number true for a good alighnment.

Reply to
Stephen H

_______________ Which it doesn't. The wheel returns to a perfect 12:00, but the car definitely pulls(what other word in the English language comes to mind?!?!) to the left severely since that rear got run up over that island.

It's NOT a front end problem because the roar is coming from the back.

-CC

Reply to
ChrisCoaster

Drift. When you let go of the wheel and you are driving forward in a lane, the car should continue to move straight, but the wheel will not be at 12:00 due to the rear end being off. Also, it may not be 100% straight because still the front wheels are also dragging. Its harder to slide straight than it is to roll straight.

The back end problem is causing a front end problem too. When you normally drive straight the front wheels are directly parallel. But when you turn, the inner wheel is angled more inward than the outer wheel. If you turn your wheel all the way to one side, and look at them, you should be able to see that the tires are no longer parallel. With your shifted rear end, when you try to drive straight, the front wheels will no longer be parallel. This is not the front ends fault, but its still a problem for the front end.

The point is, the rear end needs fixing, its the source of the problem. But the front end tires are also being worn out because of this.

Reply to
dnoyeB

KRELDAN IT ALL!!! DRIFT! That's the word, thanks dnoyeB. = )

Such a simple word and my mind completely glossed over. Any who, what you're saying is that the front end is no longer parallel because I'm forcing the steering wheel towards 1 - 2 o'clock to the right to keep the car from DRIFTing left into opposite traffic.

So toe problems cause "drift" and caster/camber issues cause "pull". They sound the same to me - ADD as I am, but anyway, glad to know the lingo.

-CC

Reply to
ChrisCoaster