Almost lost a socket

I need something strong to retrieve a wrench socket from a deep spark plug port. There's a rubber ring inside to keep out dust, and it pulls the socket right off the extension bar when you try to withdraw it.

I just barely managed to fish it out with one of those 3-prong grabbers, and I'd like to know what you would use. Even better if it's some ordinary thing around the house instead of a specialty item from a hardware store.

Thanks, Jm

Reply to
DemoDisk

A coat hanger. Bend a short hook at the end with pliers. You get the idea.

--Vic

Reply to
Vic Smith

Hmm. Awright, that's thinkin ! I'll give it a try.

Reply to
DemoDisk

Vic Smith wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

This "DemoDisk"guy posted this identical-same question in alt.autos.honda, independently of his post here.

I suggested exactly what you just did, but with a few more details.

Hey "DemoDisk", learn to properly cross-post.

Reply to
Tegger

Hey Tegger, how about those details? Always looking for new tricks. Sometimes the most obvious don't come easy.

--Vic

Reply to
Vic Smith

Vic Smith wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

Simple details. I suggested bending slightly /more/ than 90-deg, and hammering the tip slightly flatter to help get past the rubber gasket if it happened to be right up against the square hole.

Reply to
Tegger

That about covers it for a coat hanger. Maybe.

--Vic

Reply to
Vic Smith

If you have a fish hook, try that out. cuhulin

Reply to
cuhulin

And next time, duct tape the plug socket to the extension before you stick it in the hole. As a kid, I saw one guy who bought a socket and extension at a garage sale, and welded them together.

Reply to
aemeijers

Ouch. I wouldn't do that to good tools. I guess the duct tape thing w/b good, if a little messy.

Coat hanger, too. Fish hook, no.

Reply to
DemoDisk

Hey, Tegger. I always thought people hated cross posting because it's so easy. I posted separately to about seven different groups to elicit more responses and to deter people who go ballistic when you clutter up 'their' NG with cross-posting.

Damned if ya do, damned if ya don't ...

Reply to
DemoDisk

is it a standard 3/8" drive socket? This is the application for which locking extensions were invented.

nate

Reply to
N8N

Crossposting is good, because it means all the groups see the same thread.

Crossposting to SEVEN groups is a really bad idea. Multiposting to SEVEN groups is even worse. If you think your question is of interest to seven different newsgroups, you're probably wrong, no matter what the question is.

Crossposting to two or three groups can be a good thing although some folks just killfile anything crossposted to three or more.

--scott

Reply to
Scott Dorsey

The rubber ring in a spark plug socket is for the purpose of holding the plug so you can easily withdraw it from the hole (not to keep out dust).

Now that you got it out, put a touch of silicone lube on the rubber ring for the next time you use it. It will still hold the plug, but loosens its grip just enough to be able to pull it back out with the extension when you're done. The other thing you will want to do, without resorting to coat hangers every time, is to go through your extensions and find one (or buy one) with a particularly strong spring in the little ball that holds it to the socket.

Reply to
E. Meyer

I like to use needle nose vice grips. I pull those rubber rings out, but then you run the risk of cracking the insulator.

Reply to
anniejrs

This may be the answer to your problem

I owne a set of plug sockets that are part of a extension bar with a flex joint between the socket and bar. I wasn't able to located a link to them. They can reach 10-12" down a hole for the plug.

Lugnut

Reply to
lugnut

"DemoDisk" wrote in news:rPednaVlKNrj7yfWnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@yournetplus.com:

Flip over the ratchet to on and give it a slight turn. You'll feel when it's loose. Then just pull it off.

Reply to
chuckcar

Noted. Thanks, Scott.

Reply to
DemoDisk

Mm!! That's one LO-Ong socket. Thanks for the link.

Another respondent offered this:

which would solve the problem of connections slipping off.

Reply to
DemoDisk

I've welded more than a few tools over the years. Also have drilled, bent, made more than a few as well. One of the reasons I visit HF and buy some tools is for those times.

Reply to
Steve W.