Alternator question

This refers to a 1994 Chevy Corsica with a 6 cylinder engine.

Is it possible for the car's computer to send a signal to the alternator telling it to increase the voltage output? Does the alternator have a variable-voltage regulator that is controlled by the computer?

The reason I am asking this is because an indicator light on the instrument panel sometimes comes on that indicates an electrical problem. The light is red and is shaped like a battery. When the light comes on I am reading 16 volts at the cigarette lighter jack with a voltmeter. When the light goes out it reads 14 volts. It comes on and off intermittently. I know that the battery is good.

To repair this problem, I purchased a new alternator (which contains an internal voltage regulator) today and installed it. I started the car and everything was fine for a couple minutes, then suddenly the indicator light came on and was MUCH brighter than before and a loud noise came from my radio speakers. I immediately shut the car off and checked my work and verified that I had properly installed the alternator, which I had. I started the car and the same thing happened again. I immediately shut it off to prevent damage to the car. I then disconnected the heavy red wire from the alternator to prevent the alternator from sending electricity to the car, started the car, and checked the voltage output at the alternator. It measured only 9 volts, a minute later dropped to one-half volt, and has not come back up since.

I don't know if this new (actually remanufactured) alternator is defective, or if something in the car such as the computer is sending a signal to the alternator telling it to put out way too much voltage. I noticed that there is a 4-conductor plug that plugs into the alternator, so I am suspicious that the computer is controlling how much voltage the alternator puts out as if the alternator has a variable-voltage regulator that is controlled by the computer. Can someone please tell me what may be the problem? Thank you.

Chrysler and Ford may have the regulator in the PCM or ECM. The GM alternators that I know about have the regulator inside the alternator.

There could be exceptions, I guess.

Reply to
<HLS

No.

Does the alternator have a

No.

How do you know the battery is good ? Did you have it tested ?

Check your battery to make sure it is good/fully charged. Also check your battery cables for a good, clean connection. A fully charged battery should read around 12.6 volts. A fully discharged battery would read just under 12 volts ( 11.8 - 11.9 volts ).

Try measuring battery voltage at the battery terminals and see what you get. Also check your battery cables are clean and tight. To go from 9 volts down to 1/2 volt indicates a bad battery or a poor conection.

It's also possible that your battery is bad and causing the alternator to overcharge.

The alternator is NOT controlled by the computer. The alternator is controlled by the internal voltage regulator.

Reply to
Mike