Altima Or Accord ?

Hello:

Will be buying a new 2004, and, frankly, up to now have considered only a Camry or Accord.

I have just seen the new Altima's, and like them.

My main criterian are "reliability", handling, and safety

As I've never had a Nissan product, would be most apprciative for any thoughts or opinions on the following.

How are the 2004 Altimas on reliability, and projected life,compared to the Accords and Camry's ? Overall quality ?

Do I need, or want, a 6 cyl. ?

Any caveats, etc.

Not to sure what else to ask; any other thoughts would really be welcome.

Much thanks, Bob

Reply to
Robert11

Bear in mind that at least to a certain extant these days Nissan==Renault.

Reply to
Roger Blake

Not really. It's a conglomerate ownership issue, not a manufacturing issue.

Reply to
Jimmy

Glad someone does. I find 'em butt ugly (and I like Nissans in general :-)

Comparable. Nissans are very reliable. They have had a couple issues over the years, just like Toyota and Honda. Don't expect them to fix anything even mildly out of warranty, just like Toyota and Honda.

Handling wise, Camry is a boat, Honda is a little better, the Nissan is best. However, there are lots more parts available to tune the Honda if you want to go that route.

Of course you do :-) Drive it, get excited, buy it. Actually Nissan has some nice 6-cyl motors, all based on long evolved designs. Very smooth. Check out what they say about the Nissan 6, you won't be disappointed.

Camry has a six and so does Honda. With the Camry, I think you need the six. With the Honda, the four is actually a better motor (now what's that say? :-)

Much less "boring" than a Camry or Accord, although not my cup of tea in styling.

Drive them. I thought I wanted a Camry once too... and I had plans for a supercharger and suspension mods to make it more fun. Then I drove one. Whoops, wrong car. If you like to modify cars, the Honda is the one to go with. If you want a car with better handling and already including the power you want, get the Nissan. For extra fun, get a Maxima instead of an Altima.

Reply to
Jimmy

That's good to know. Remembering the Dauphine, the AMC/Renault debacle, etc., I would be a little gun-shy about getting involved with Renault products.

Reply to
Roger Blake