Annoying Noise Problem with Serpentine Belt

I've had the serpentine belt replaced on my 1997 Saturn within the last year and a half, and the Saturn dealer also replaced the idler pulley (whatever that is). Whenever it's very humid or has rained, the belt squeaks when I first start the car in the morning, but that soon goes away. Now, however, the belt seems to be making noise more often.

I've heard lots of opinions on this - put dressing on the belt, don't put dressing because it'll slop onto the engine, tighten it, replace it. Does it make sense to have to replace it this soon - after only a year and a half? Does it just need some sort of tightening? All opinions appreciated. P.S. What does the idler pulley do?

Reply to
Rich N

saeengineer

Did they replace the actual tensioner, or just the idler pulley? The tensioner spring can sometimes become weak and fail to put enough tension on the belt.

I had a squeaking problem with a Dayco replacement belt on my Sunfire - the belt seemed to be a bit too long for that application, the tensioner was at the fully extended position with the belt installed. Replacing with a belt from the dealer fixed the problem..

Reply to
Robert Hancock

I've spent a bit of time working at a Saturn only shop. My advice: Replace the tensioner with a quality unit. Yes, they go bad, and yes, it will make exactly the noise you describe. A quick test: Put a wrench on the tensioner pulley bolt and pull the tensioner down against it's spring. If it does not travel smoothly, catches in it's travel, or apply full tension back against the belt then it's bad. Also, if it appears even slightly out of alignment it's toast. If you have the slightest doubt about the belt, replace it with a quality belt at the same time.

Reply to
Art Welling

tom&kel

Art, thanks for your continued interest.

Tensioner $96.95. Belt $29.95. when i told the guy I found cheaper prices calling around, he said these are better quality than you would find at NAPA or Auto Zone.

Labor charge $125.14 for 2 hours. Supply charge $10.09

Reply to
Rich N