Another Labor Rate ?

I asked this at the end of a similar thread but that one lools like it is attracting more opinions about the original poster than it is information. As a result, I decided to repost it here as a seperate question.

I've been doing side work out of my home shop off and on for a few years now and have been charging $25/hr for actual time worked. I think that price is more than fair given my situation. I would like to find out where I could get a used rate book or reasonably priced one for someone in my position. The ones I've been able to find on line are $180 and up. That seems a little steep for someone that only does a couple of jobs here and there to help pay for a hobby. Does anyone have information on an affordable on line version or a place where used ones might be available? I mainly work on older models, up to about

2000.

I am starting to get enough requests for work that I don't want to sell myself too short but I do want to be very fair. The most recent request is from a friend who is willing to pay me the book labor times at whatever rate I feel reasonable because his current mechanic is charging him through the nose. He is a caterer and has several vehicles that need to be maintained/repared.

In the mean time.....does anyone happen to know the labor listed for R&R of an oil pan in a 1999 Ford E250? It has a 5.4 Liter V8, 4 spd auto and no AC if that even matters.

Thanks

Reply to
maxpower_hd

Max, you might check your local public library's reference desk and ask if they have AllData on their in-house, internet computers. My library does.

AllData has labor times etc.

"maxpower_hd" wrote

Reply to
Elle

The quick easy answer is I don't. So far I have only been doing small jobs for friends. This particular business owner is also a friend. This would be the first business I would be doing work for. I have already been thinking about insurance because I plan to do other things out of my home shop as well.

I don't know how to go about becoming an LLC. Is this something I can do on my own or do I need a lawyer for that? It sounds like you had to do it yourslef, that's why I asked. I know you are not a lawyer yourself.

Thanks for the advice. It is greatly appreciated.

Reply to
maxpower_hd

maxpower_hd wrote in news:maxpower snipped-for-privacy@no-mx.nodomain.com:

Most areas won`t let you work out of your home garage anyway, so getting insurance is a no go. also insurance will be at least 10,000. bucks. Been there done that. It is a no win situation. KB

Reply to
Kevin Bottorff