Another power window problem

1996 Olds Ciera. Driver's side front power window has been used several times a day for over 8 years. It has "auto," meaning that it finishes rolling all the way down after you let go of the button.

Lately, on hot days, I've had a problem with intermittent operation. If allowed to "rest" a few minutes, it resumes working normally, at least for a short time. I wonder if this is a thermal cutout being actuated, and in any case, what I should do about it.

The other power windows have seen very little use and have not given any trouble.

Reply to
mc

See my 2000 Astro Power Window post. That's how the trouble with mine started, only it was in the up direction instead of down. Now that the temps are way above normal (over

100 degrees here lately), it is now taking about 3 attempts to open the window fully (auto function) and it typically takes me 45 minutes or so to close it again. Folks have pointed me at the motor, but mentioned that it may be a track or regulator problem. I'll post my findings when I get in there and come to some conclusion.
Reply to
TomO

Thanks. Mine actually can get stuck at any position, going up or down.

Thanks again. I'm looking forward to it.

Reply to
mc

My guess is that you have a cracked connector - A brand new motor comes with a new connector!! 8)

Reply to
Daryl Bryant

I had similar problems in both my '91 Buick Regal and 2001 Bonneville. The Regal had multiple issues: windows role up and down without pressing the button, doors locking and unlocking while driving on the highway (kinda haunted like) and occasionally the trunk would pop open. This car I did not keep long enough to find out the problem. The Bonneville however had similar problem and it turned out to be the window control module on the drivers door because I liked driving with the windows open even if it was raining the water left deposits on the internal circuitry of the controller. Was about $80 from the parts store and R/R was fairly simple. I say fairly because I had to fish out the spring clamp from between the doors with a magnet because it popped off when I removed the old controller.

Reply to
Ken

My mechanic installed a new motor and it's fine. The old motor was straining badly -- which I didn't realize until I heard the new motor having a much easier time moving the window up and down.

Reply to
mc