Any reason for low oil press at low rpm besides the pump?

89 Cressida w/7MGE - I just started seeing my oil pressure light going on today at low rpm - basically below about 800 rpm, particularly when in gear. Assuming the sensor is correct, is there any reason for this besides the oil pump? The engine only has about 40k miles since a rebuild, re-used the old oil pump which I assume is the original. Car has about 150k miles on it.

What's the life expectancy of these pumps?

Besides Ebay any good source for parts? Dealer wants most of $300 for one, the auto parts places apparently don't have it.

Thanks for all input.

Reply to
muzician21

Lol. Got a Fram filter on it? (As I duck for cover)

Reply to
Steve Austin

Steve Austin wrote in news:4b0dc36d$0$27440$38cefb40 @news.westelcom.com:

The oil filter should present a restriction to oil flow that is LESS than the restriction created by bottom-end bearing clearances, even at maximum engine speed or at extreme low temperatures.

The bearings get their pressure from the oil pump. If the filter is a restriction, the bearings will be starved for oil and the reported pressure will be low.

I won't use FRAM, but inadequate oil pressure is not the reason why.

Reply to
Tegger

AARRRGGGGGHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!

(I bet he does!)

Reply to
Hachiroku $B%O%A%m%/(B

Hachiroku $B%O%A%m%/(B wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@e86.GTS:

That would make zero difference to oil pressure.

Reply to
Tegger

I first noticed it today at a stoplight and it was still doing it after it had been sitting all day and fired up and idling in the parking lot.

Since making my original post, after a filter change and refill with

5W-40 Mobil 1, and about 30 - 45 mins of around town go-to-store, fire it up again go to another store driving, for the moment I haven't seen the light come back on again - might have been a mucked up filter. Will take a longer down the highway run later and then see what happens.

I appreciate everyone's input.

Reply to
muzician21

I first noticed it today at a stoplight and it was still doing it after it had been sitting all day and fired up and idling in the parking lot.

Since making my original post, after a filter change and refill with

5W-40 Mobil 1, and about 30 - 45 mins of around town go-to-store, fire it up again go to another store driving, for the moment I haven't seen the light come back on again - might have been a mucked up filter. Will take a longer down the highway run later and then see what happens.

I appreciate everyone's input.

My input is that you have selected oil that's pretty light, and this will give you low oil pressure.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

See the other thread. I have been having oil press probs on two cars consistantly since installing Frams on them. One is a Supra, 7M-GE, same engine as the OP. When I was using OEM Toyota filters, no problem...

Reply to
Hachiroku $B%O%A%m%/(B

I was going to ask if you were using a cheap oil, or have you always used Mobil1?

Reply to
m6onz5a