Any salvage value 1994 Honda Civic

My daughter just had an accident with her 1994 Honda Civic. She rear-ended a pickup truck on the front passenger side. The bodyshop said the car is "totaled" and would cost $3500 to fix. At a minimum, it needs bumper, hood, fender, headlight assy, etc.

The motor ran very well and recently started at minus 25F degrees below. If this car is sent to the salvage yard, does it have any significant value to my daughter? I'd hate to think that the bodyshop/ salvage yard would secretly fix it up and re-sell it for significant value.

Any info/precautions would be appreciated.

Reply to
Wm.(Bill) Warning

Sometimes the insurance companies auction them off, and a rebuilder might decide to tackle it, or a wrecking yard may take it for salvage. Or you can sell it to a salvage yard. You wont get anywhere near $3500 though. A few hundred is more like it.

If it is insured, the insurance company will pay you the value they decide and take your car. If not, you are in a bit of a bind.

Fix it up yourself, if it is a good car, and if you are able to do the body work.

Reply to
HLS

it does have value if the engine is fine, thats how Wereckers make money buying cars like that and selling the parts, whether ot not it is fixable its hard to say, if the damage is extensive probally not but then again they could make a chop job out of it :D get a second opinion on how much its gunna cost to repair if you want to be sure not to get screwed.

-Andrew Smit-

Andrew Smit

Reply to
Joseph A. Zupko

You could probably make the car driveable but ugly for a few hundred bucks or less. How important is pretty over reliable? If the motor and drivetrain are in good shape, you might also consider finding a similar year and model Honda in decent shape with a bad motor and swapping over her good drivetrain.

JazzMan

Reply to
JazzMan

I'm the second owner of a rebuilt-salvaged 92 Civic, a year later a Ford truck plowed into it while parked and had it sold to the junk yard for fairly very less than a thousand, I don't remember.

The previous owner, a 19 year old female, drove the salvaged car to the point where the motor fell two inches from the concrete which eventually stopped the car 50 miles later.

The female was shocked but she was informed that salvage cars are known to loose drive shafts at high speeds. I bet she feels lucky.

By the way, I had no insurance, so the Ford owner were reluctant to pay, so I got half, not bad for a salvage. The Ford truck tried an escape maneuver but lost an axle... the story goes on and on...

Tibur

Reply to
Tibur Waltson