Anyone good with carbs?

quick question that no doubt will prompt a long answer...

I have a Carter 9605S carb which I believe is a 600 CFM aftermarket Weber-built AFB, originally manual choke, which I've converted to electric. I want to run it on a 289 Studebaker engine which probably should have something more in the neighborhood of 500-550 CFM, but the price was right on this one and it is pristine. It also runs rich. If I jet it down, can I just use the jets that would have originally been used on, say, a '63 Stude and start from there, or since the carb theoretically is bigger should I start slightly richer or leaner?

nate

Reply to
Nate Nagel

I would say if the jets from the ol carb fit, then try them.....see how they work.. if they are too lean, you can always increase them a little... if they don't fit.. then try smaller jets than what you have....then check the plugs again to see what you have... is there an adjustment on the carb for air/gas??

Fwed

Reply to
fweddybear

only at idle, off idle you have to change jets/rods. Only other adjustments I'm aware of are the springs for the vacuum secondaries, float height, and the aggressiveness of the choke, although I'm sure that someone more knowledgeable would probably find more stuff to tinker with...

nate

Reply to
Nate Nagel

Reply to
Shep

How do you do that, since they're always up with the carb not on a running engine? Is it OK to pull the covers off the little metering rod piston wells with the engine idling?

BTW the engine does have decent vacuum, considering it's 40 years old and of unknown history, mileage, etc.

nate

Shep wrote:

Reply to
N8N

Reply to
Shep

Unless you do other modifications to use all this extra air and fuel, I don't think you can make a 600 behave well on a 289. I could easily be wrong, just going with past experience on a 289 Mustang. A friend had one and it performed radically better with the stock carb on it than anything anybody could tune with a 650 4 bbl and intake.

He wasn't into building the engine up internally or changing the exhaust at least so went back to the stock carb and intake.

Oh, I can run my Carter on my 258 with the cover off ok to verify the vacuum piston for the metering rods. My rods are adjustable though. Really twitchy for adjustment to get it smooth all the way up, but they do tweak.

I tried to make mine run a litter richer thinking maybe it would burn that ethanol mixed fuel crap according to advice from here, but no go. I got it richer to the tune of about 3-4 mpg loss running 'real' gasoline, but all that gave me was a slight bog on a full throttle punch and still no power or top end with ethanol mixed fuel and a drop of over

10 mpg when it is used.

Mike

Mike Romain

Reply to
Stan Weiss

Feels like it is rich almost all the time, huge bog both at normal tip in and when punching it. Almost completely gone with the old 60's vintage carb that I pulled off the shelf to try. At WOT, once it gets past the bog it pulls nicely.

nate

Stan Weiss wrote:

Reply to
N8N

Sounds to me like you need to tweak either the rods, or change a jet.....Are you running a stock exhaust or an aftermarket one? If you are bogging at WOT, then you need to go higher on the intermediate jet, or tweak the rod a little....the main jet basically kicks in after a certain rpm (not sure, but i think it may be 4500, or in your case probably when it stops bogging and picks up smoothly). If it bogs right from the start, then a main jet sounds like it is in order (or a rod tweak). If it runs rich, then your plugs would be full of carbon (black), and you would probably need to adjust the idle mixture.....I would change the plugs too in case one or more are no good anymore...

Fwed

"N8N" wrote in message news: snipped-for-privacy@z14g2000cwz.googlegroups.com...

Reply to
fweddybear

Stock duals, but with free-flowing mufflers

does both

check...

already changed 'em, and idle mix feels right but car still bogs right off idle.

In case you can't tell, I'm pretty much an idiot when it comes to carbs, I have no natural "feel" for how to make them work correctly, having played with CIS VWs for years (and those, you don't have to do much to to make them run correctly)

nate

Reply to
Nate Nagel

Reply to
fweddybear

Reply to
Stan Weiss

Just curious, where did you get the electric choke kit? J.C. Whitney used to carry them, but I have not seen the kits in recent catalogs.

Reply to
Roger Blake

Summit, Jegs, et. al. still carry them under the "Edelbrock" name (an Edelbrock Performer = Carter AFB) as well as your local FLAPS, if they have a shiny go-fast goody section but I think I just stole this one off a parts carb.

nate

Reply to
N8N

Reply to
Stan Weiss

What are you people talking about?

A carburator is the hole on the front of a pipe used for smoking marijuana.

You hold your finger over the hole as you take a hit and then release your finger

THAT is a carburator.

Reply to
dansecat