Anyone know of a truly streak-free glasss cleaner?

Just when I thought glass wipes were the cats meow, I jumped in the buggy this morning and what a mess at sunrise! It was all streaked up as though I pushed oil around on the glass. I used the glass wipes and tried to polish it with those micro-fleece car towels (newly washed). Most of it appears to be inside the car's windshield and rear window which is a pain to get at to clean.

Anything out their beat the wipes? I read ammonia attacks plastic tint film. The local car wash always seems to get streak free glass - and they do it in the sun!

Mack

Reply to
M. MacDonald

I've found the aerosol glass cleaner to be the best in terms of getting the glass actually clean.

I've found nothing yet that works perfectly, however... always at least some streaks left.

nate

Reply to
N8N

a vinegar solution cleans glass. dry with newspaper. I think there is something in newsprint that makes this so effective. notice that ammonia (and chlorine) is a base but vinegar is an acid so they react differently.

--

------------------------------------------------------------------------------ William R Watt National Capital FreeNet Ottawa's free community network homepage:

William R. Watt

I use "Invisible Glass", forget manufacturer, too lazy to lookup in my toolbag. But first I wipe raw dust with plain water/paper towel, only then invisible glass (spray), and dont get obsessed with chemcals - all that is cancer an dpollution, use water an dbiodegrabales whenever possible, unfortunately Invisible Glass i snot natuaral, i use it sparingly

Reply to
Marco Licetti

I heard sulfuric acid mixed with raw gravel cleans glass near-perfect

Reply to
Marco Licetti

I use regular household cleaner and water. Then I squeegee the glass. Rinse with a spray bottle of plain water and squeegee again. If you get a line of water you can dry it with a clean towel. With most of the spray- on window cleaners you end up pushing the grime around. Bob

Reply to
bobmendria

Stoner, I believe. If it's an aerosol, it's probably the product I was thinking of in my previous post.

nate

Reply to
N8N

Do you get any on yourself?

Reply to
Hugo Schmeisser

I bought some tonight at Kragen Auto as I was having the same problem as the OP. It's called "Stoner's Invisible Glass" (black and yellow spray can). Seems it has an alcohol in it of some sort as it dries pretty quick. A bit foamy too on initial spray. I used some microfleece towels to wipe it off.

Course, it's dark out now, but I'll know in the morning how it came out with regards to streaks. The directions do say to use it twice though. About $5 a can which seems like it will last a long time. It does have an expiration date on the bottom of the can (???!) Lasts about 1 year on mine.

There used to be something called "Glass Wax." Now it's called "Window Wax." Old stuff worked pretty well. I've heard of people using cornstarch and a vinegar/water solution and doing almost the same thing. Never tried that as I feared I would end up with cornstarch all over the dash.

B~

Reply to
B. Peg

Use cleaning solution made with 20% methylated spirits (alcohol) and water. Apply with clean rag and dry with newspaper. Newspaper is better than any fancy cleaner and it squeaks nicely on the glass when the glass is clean.

Reply to
ShazWozza

I tried to duplicate Windex many years ago, and though I had just about everything perfect, the product smeared. (Of course, Windex did too. This was in an application for applying vinyl wall coverings, where the client wanted to buy drum quantities.)

Later a friend told me that the trick was to add a trace of kerosene or similar to the formulation. Apparently this helps prevent smears in home made class cleaners. Never tried it, but thought I would pass it along.

Reply to
<HLS

Alcohol!

Reply to
Bob Johnstone

Reply to
tim bur

Hey, this stuff works pretty good. I didn't think about the windows going to work. Usually I notice the smears at sunrise. I think the reason I didn't think about it was they were crystal clear.

Yep. Going home they were very clear and I didn't see one streak in any window.

Very good find!

B~

Reply to
B. Peg