Anyone repaired a star-crack in a wind screen?

Got any tips? I have a 1-1/2" star crack in my rover's front windscreen. A new window is $800. All tips and hints welcome!

Thanks

Dean

Reply to
Dean

I have repaired small stars and even cracks with the cheap kits available from most parts stores. The smaller the crack or star, and the more diligently you follow instructions, the more likely you are to get a good job.

If I were you, I would take this to a professional and check it out. I would assume they have better equipment than you get for ten bucks. Let them have a go, or try it yourself... you almost certainly wont make it worse, and it may save your having to invest in a new windshield for a long time.

Finding a Rover windscreen in the USA might be a tall order UNLESS it is shared with another model car which might be more common here. And that is a bit unlikely.

Where are you situated and what model Rover is involved?

Reply to
<HLS

We got one about that size one week after putting a new one in... We took it to the glass shop and his fix has held over 5 years. It wasn't too expensive.

Mike

Dean wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain

Hmm didn't think of that. Thanks. Did it take long (have to stay over night to dry, for example)?

Reply to
Dean

Princeton, NJ. Discovery Series II.

Reply to
Dean

Bring it to a glass shop.

Reply to
mst

No it was an instant repair. They used a vacuum style machine I believe to suck all the air out of the crack and replace it with a glue of some type.

This was a big nasty star right in the driver's vision bad enough the cops would take issue with it for visibility.

I am in Canada so it sees hot and cold shocks and lots of trail twisting and it is impressive. Not a run.

I believe it was just a local Speedy Auto Glass that was recommended for the replacement in the first place by a local 4x4 shop.

Instead of nailing us for another new one, he fixed it with no implied warranty because of the size of the sucker.

I looked at the kits and well, there are reasons professionals that have the correct tools do a better job 'usually'.

Mike

Dean wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain

I've done 2 of the auto parts store kits. One worked very well, the other didn't. Neither ran though and I had the car probably 5 more years. On the one that didn't look fixed when done, I had problems getting the suction to hold right so the glue didn't get pushed into the crack as well. I kinda remember part of the crack ran under the stick on think that made the seal so that may have been the root of the problem.

Again, first one you couldn't see when done and could see second but neither ran.

bb

Reply to
bob

Ok thanks. Any idea of the inspection rules (I'm in NJ, btw)? I mean, for the one that you said you could still see, did it sort of look fixed or not?

Reply to
Dean

I recently had a cracked windshield replaced at no cost by my comprehensive insurance.

Reply to
Chas Hurst

If you are replying to my post, of course no deductable. What's the difference in premium for ACV vs some deductable?

Reply to
Chas Hurst

Chas,

I dunno, I thought more deductable means less premium generally.

Reply to
Dean

Of course it does. How much less? My ACV comprehensive costs me about $10 a year more than $250 deductable. You do the math.

Reply to
Chas Hurst

My insurance is so difficult - its like getting blood out of a stone when it comes to rates. All changes have to be made and submitted before they can tell you how much the rate will change! Which is why I don't know how much the deductable works out to be. Thanks - I'll look into it as it doesn't seem so much of an increase.

Cheers, Dean

Reply to
Dean

With vehicle insurance what really drives up the rates are higher liability limits on the medical (personal injury) stuff.

States that require auto insurance generally set a minimum coverage amount for medical. In Oregon, the state's standard liability coverage requirements are 25/50/10. That is $25,000 per individual for bodily injuries you cause to the other persons, and up to $50,000 for all, and $10,000 for damage you cause to the other party's personal property. In addition Oregon requires personal injury protection (PIP) with coverage up to a maximum of $10,000. This last is because the state doesen't want to have a bunch of people sucking up the state money in the hospital emergency wards.

Most insurance agents will, of course, try to sell you policies that have higher minimums as they cost more and the agent gets a bigger commission. If your a property owner that might be advisable since if you total someone else's brand new car, $10K isn't going to cover it and your going to get sued for the balance, whereupon your going to lose your home. If your a 20-something that owns nothing, then you might as well carry the minimums since if that does happen they know they won't get anything from you.

With comprehensive coverage, there's really not much more that those policies cover other than the cost of your vehicle, that is why full coverage isn't that much more expensive.

Ted

Reply to
Ted Mittelstaedt

Im glad you posted this, Chas. We sort of let the agent slide by on this, and if it is only about $10 per year more, it could well be worth it.

But, another question, my wife and I have rather immaculate driving records, no tickets or accidents in years. We get the maximum good driving discount.

IF we had to have a windshield replaced, not at fault, would this drive up the rates, and would there be any difference to the scenario if we had full coverage versus $100 deductible?

Reply to
<HLS

The windshield in my Benz 300TD was recently replaced. I cracked it loading some 2X4s into the car. I called my agent and the windshield was replaced at my home without a question as to the cause of damage. It cost me nothing and did not change my rates. If you have $100 deductable you will be resposible for the first $100 of the repair bill. I have been paid for other claims for substantially more than the cost of replacing a windshield and my rates where never raised.

Reply to
Chas Hurst