Astro Van - Power steering Pump

I have an astro van with 165k km that seem to have a leak from the power steering pump. It's hard to see the exact location because its between the steering pump and the engine.

Would this likely be from the high pressure line of the pump or something else in the area. Any hints at replacing the faulty seals on the pump?

david

Reply to
nawks

It may be in the high pressure line but may also be at the shaft on the pump itself. I suspect the shaft.

My experience with replacing the seal is negative. The one time I did this, the leak came right back within a couple of weeks.

Reply to
HLS

If it's the high pressure hose, you should see if you can see the hose and have someone start the car and turn the steering wheel. You should be able to see fluid spewing from the hose. If you can't see the hose, you should be able to see the PS fluid dripping from somewhere. If it's the pump itself, in my experience, it's easier to replace the pump than replace the seals. It's just not worth the time unless you're completely caught up in the mechanicals of the pump and have to know what it looks like inside.

-Bruce

Reply to
Bruce Chang

Remember, some of those older Astro vans have a hydraulic brake system. Double check and make sure that it's not leaking from that...

Reply to
mysticolor

Do the newer Astro vans have something different than a hydraulic brake system? =o'

Reply to
Bruce Chang

Uhh...just about every car made in the last 50 or so years has a hydraulic brake system...it's not unique to old Astro vans...

Reply to
Z.Z.

Google for

Hydroboost hydraulic assist power brake

Reply to
Mark Olson

Very cool. I had no idea there was something like that.

It surprises me a little that the braking and steering system would be powered by the power steering pump. If you lost that pump, you lose the ease of power steering and power brakes.

Reply to
Bruce Chang

Z.Z. The astro uses hydaulic assist instead of vaccum asist like most cars use. This is what they are referring to. My 2001 Astro work van still has the hydraulic (run from the power steering pump) assist.

Steve B.

Reply to
Steve B.

"Bruce Chang" wrote

Like a vacuum booster, the hydraulic boosters have a small reserve designed to give you a couple of assisted brake applications if the pump gives up the ghost.

Ian

Reply to
shiden_Kai

Interesting...I didn't know that. I have a 98 Astro...I'll have to have a look.

That sounds like a more complicated system than vacuum assist. What are the advantages?

Reply to
Z.Z.

"Z.Z." wrote

On the Astro vans, about the only advantage is because of space constraints. Hydroboost is often used by trucks with the diesel engines. Diesels don't develop vacuum like a gas engine, so it makes more sense to use a hydraulically assisted brake system.

Ian

Reply to
shiden_Kai