ATF in PS Reservoir

I added about a 1/4 cup of Mercon V ATF to my PS reservoir.

Immediately realizing my mistake, I siphoned out all of the PS fluid and ATF in the reservoir and refilled it with PS fluid, I then siphoned out all of the fluid again and refilled it a second time with PS fluid, I then siphoned it one last time and refilled it again.

Is there anything else I should do or am I good to go?

Thanks!

Joe

Reply to
Joe Colella

Some cars use Dexron ATF for PS fluid. Haven't ever heard of Mercon V for PS though.

Relax!

I think you are.

Don

Don

Should be okay now, just ensure fluid level is right, and run the engine, turn the steering wheel L to R stop to stop around 4 times each. Recheck fluid level, you should be fine.

Although

1] Did U run the engine before realizing mistake, prior to siphoning?

2] If so, you'll want to disonnect the return line and flush the fluid out of the rack.

3] If the engine wasn't run, when you added the fluid, and wasn't run when you noticed the flub, and wasn't run until after you siphoned everything out and replaced the fluid, you should be okay. The minimal residue of ATF left won't bother the system.

But, if the engine was run and introduced ATF into the power rack, you need to bleed it out, re #2, in general for most cars.

Reply to
Knifeblade_03

why is this a mistake? a power steering pump is a hydraulic pump. an automatic transmission is a hydraulic pump. you put fluid in a pump that was designed for a pump. its all good! :~)>

bob z.

Reply to
bob zee

Several cars use ATF for power steering fluid. Check the owners manual to see what you should be running. In any case I don't think having ATF in the reservoir for a moment is cause for worry.

Reply to
John S.

Well, bob z., I agree with you in principle, but thinking of application>>> would you put PS fluid into your automatic transmission?

Reply to
Knifeblade_03

Several cars use ATF as power steering fluid, so those cars are using power steering fluid in the automatic transmission and vice versa.

View this thread:

John S.

Many other cars specifically state NOT to use ATF in the PS system. It would be helpful to know what kind of car we're talking about here.

But even if it is one that doesn't allow ATF in the PS system, I think the flushing should take care of the issue.

Reply to
Steve

I wouldn't, but mainly because of the viscosity difference. (PS fluid is usually closer to water than oil in viscosity)

Aside from that factor... The only other consideration is whether the rubber/plastic in the system would cope with it without going into meltdown mode.

Reply to
Don Bruder

It's not a Honda or an Audi is it? They are _very_ fussy.

Other than that, yeah, you're sorted.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

That could be bad advice, Bob Z. Some cars take ATF as power steering fluid and others specifically say not to use it. I did it once because I didnt read the specifications (in a Buick) and ended up having to replace hoses and the PS pump. Was the failure related to the ATF fluid? I dont know, but nowadays if they specify power steering fluid, I comply.

Reply to
hls

Could be bad advice, yes, but the OP stated they did a lot of make-do flushing. I was just trying to help them relax. :~)>

bob z.

Reply to
bob zee

Understand... And I also think they should relax. They have done all they can to return the system to specification.

Reply to
hls