audi and kaipola ski jump advertisiement - climbing an icy hill

Steve, Nice ad, but that's just it, advertising... How many people need/have to do that in a car? My old landie could probably do it too (slower tho') No tires? I reckon the rim sides with the asphalt/macadam? after having worn down in the first few metres, would be probably be more effective than spikes. I wouldn't advocate doing this yourself, unless you were desperate to get to the top, or if you had a spare set of rims...

PS I live in Switzerland, 4x4 is useful!... but, braking is like any other car... Spikes are allowed here, but you are limited to 80kmh. My best car ever on the snow was my '69 Beetle equiped with snow tyres.

-- ...tone LR90 "Emma" SRX6 - hibernating

Reply to
...erratic

Apologies for having crossposted...

-- ...tone LR90 "Emma" SRX6 - hibernating

Reply to
...erratic

Me neither.....do not have a crane or chopper to put me there in the first place.....;-( Kind regards, Erik-Jan.

Reply to
Erik-Jan Geniets

I seriously doubt that the hill is 25 to 30 degrees. Use an inclinometer and tell us the results...

Reply to
Alan Baker

Two inclinometers mounted. One to prevent me from rolling sideways and the other one for the driving direction or rolling backwards if you like ;-( Here they are:

regards, Erik-Jan.

Reply to
Erik-Jan Geniets

And the round goes to Erik-Jan. Really Alan, I have climbed 45 degree slopes in my Jeep, and for sure my front wheels were actually on the ground and contributed to the climb. I don't bother trying it in 2WD, lol. It is just not that big of a problem with a capable vehicle. Tomes

Reply to
Tomes

"Erik-Jan Geniets" wrote

Interesting picture. I've never seen an clinometer of this kind, but I can explain how it works: Outer upper scale means up hill in percent (not grade), outer lower scale down hill, inner upper scale acceleration, inner lower scale negative acc. (braking).

I.e. calculate what slope is equivalent to 3m/s^2:

3/9.8 (1g=9.8m/s^2) = 0.306 (the sinus of the angle) gradient (in percent) is the tangens =0.32.

The words "gut - schwach - schlecht" (good-week-bad) are for indicating braking performance (on flat terrain). But of course not applicable for modern cars

Cheers,

Thomas

Reply to
Thomas Schäfer

So I'm betting you were climbing a hill with a 20 - 30 *percent* grade...

Reply to
Alan Baker

Yes, also. Turacher Höhe in Austria, old Vulcano in Kärnten. Tarmac in the winter. Some snow/ice here and there. 23 percent. At the base off the mountain there is a road sign in German which reads "4 wheel drive car's only" Kind regards, Erik-Jan.

Reply to
Erik-Jan Geniets

And on a 20 *percent* grade, your vehicle's weight is going to be pretty equally distributed on both axles.

On an 80% grade, the Audi's weight is going to be almost entirely on its

*rear* wheels.
Reply to
Alan Baker

I guess so with the engine in front. Erik-Jan.

Reply to
Erik-Jan Geniets

This one?

bob_pro1

That article was great. You can view the finished commercial at the

website.

I'll defer all the calculations to the mathematicians in the group, I can understand that 80 degrees is almost straight up so it must be 80% so semantics is probably what's being debated.

I would submit to you this is what marketing is all about, making the public aware of the product, generating discussion and creating an impression. With the several dozen posts, in multiple newsgroups it has generated, and the articles on how the commercial was made, IMHO this commercial has accomplished its purpose. A bunch of guys were talking about it at my work last week and I'm sure that wasn't the only place that discussion was taking place. How many thousands of advertisements are we constantly exposed to on TV, radio, the web, newspapers, magazines, and billboards that make absolutely no impact on us?

Just my 2 cents

(t>> I saw this advertisement from Audi on their second records on driving

Reply to
Jay Britton