Auto AC Sealants

Greetings, I have a 1993 Honda Accord LX with 159,400 miles on it. Back in 1999 a damaged condenser was replaced & no Freon had been required since then. The AC became borderline & foam was showing in the site glass so I had a technician come to my house to check it out. The system checked out fine & pressures were just low because of low Freon. Using an electronic leak detector a medium leak was discovered at the compressor mount. The gasket was probably worn. I converted to R-134a & the air is blowing 38 to 40 degrees on recirculate mode. While I don't know how significant the leak is, I'm assuming it may leak more because of the smaller R-134a molecule. I may just need to top off the R-134a each year. Alternatively, I could add a sealant. Are sealants a good idea or just asking for more trouble? Thanks, Rich

Reply to
Rich

Sealants in AC are universally bad. It will be cheaper in the long run to repair the leak, even if you have to replace the compressor.

Reply to
B.B.

Seems to me it would be cheaper in the long run, which may not be that long for a 93 model, to spend $10 a year on a can of 134a.

Reply to
Ashton Crusher

A buddy of mine, he keeps one of those long stem big round dial themometers stuck in the dash board grill of his old Chevrolet Carryall vehicle.I have seen quite a few other people who do that too. cuhulin

Reply to
cuhulin

Does that stop the leaks??

Reply to