Auto Break-in and Theft

Hello, all. Last evening (12/7/16) NBC news aired a segment demonstrating devices that would ostensibly capture keyless entry codes from the key fob and allow both entry, start-up, and drive away of a motor vehicle. a couple of questions come to mind:

  1. My understanding is that vehicle keyless entry systems usually use rolling (hopping) codes with the next valid code being pseudo-randomly generated. So how was that code determined?

  1. The immobilizer system (at least on my Ford vehicle) that works with the transponder key is separate from the keyless entry system. In the news report after entry to the vehicle was gained, the car could be started by pushing a button on the dashboard. No mechanical/transponder key had to be inserted/turned in the ignition switch. Apparently there also was no steering column mechanical lock.

While I don't have a clue how the third-party equipment shown in the news report functions, I don't think it would work on a vehicle like my Ford Focus. Thanks for your time and comment. Sincerely,

Reply to
J.B. Wood