Auto Paint Query

I decided to do some touch-up painting on my car where the road pebbles had dinged the paint on the hood in the front near the headlight. I ordered the correct touch-up paint based on the paint color number. I guess I got a little overzealous in my usage, because now I have a pretty funny looking patchwork of obvious touch-up paint swatches in about a six-inch area of the car hood (or bonnet for you brit-holes). There are also a couple of other small spots that look funny.

A local auto body place does computer paint matching. Can I have them just paint these areas, or will they want to paint the whole car? How much do you think to just touch-up my rsfck-up?

Thanks for any useful information.

Reply to
Mercellus Bohren

"Mercellus Bohren" wrote

Just rub some sand on the newly painted areas.

--Tedward

Reply to
Edward M. Kennedy

Do you mean fine-grit sandpaper?

Reply to
Mercellus Bohren

"Mercellus Bohren" wrote

<
Reply to
Edward M. Kennedy

They should be able to just fix your mess. At the worst they would repaint the hood.

Ken

Reply to
NapalmHeart

I figured you were yoking. I think I'm going to take it in and have the fine upstanding honest body shop guys give me an estimate.

Reply to
Mercellus Bohren

I'm sure prices vary. But, say they wanted to paint the whole hood. What would the going rate be for just that at decent auto body shop? I really don't have a clue what something like this would cost. I've searched the web of semi-useless info, and I can't seem to get a fix on the dollars.

Reply to
Mercellus Bohren

I'm sure prices vary. But, say they wanted to paint the whole hood. What would the going rate be for just that at decent auto body shop? I really don't have a clue what something like this would cost. I've searched the web of semi-useless info, and I can't seem to get a fix on the dollars.

Figure six hours at local labor rates plus around $40 in materials to do the entire hood.

Reply to
PanHandler

Had you thought about picking up the phone and calling a couple of body shops and actually asking??

Reply to
Doug Miller

Looks to be $40-45 an hour around these parts. So, maybe around $300.

Do you know if they can take a swipe at touching up small areas on the side of the car, without having to paint an entire door, or quarter- panel, etc.?

Reply to
Mercellus Bohren

I am hearing impaired and like to use the internet newsgroups if possible, before I go in and have someone take advantage of my disability.

Reply to
Mercellus Bohren

Looks to be $40-45 an hour around these parts. So, maybe around $300.

Do you know if they can take a swipe at touching up small areas on the side of the car, without having to paint an entire door, or quarter- panel, etc.?

Same likelihood as the hood I would imagine.

Reply to
PanHandler

Mercellus,

Your State probably offers special telephone apparatus for the hearing impaired. Or you could fax or e-mail your query.

Dave M.

Reply to
David L. Martel

Why don't you just buy a can of flat-black spray paint and use it to paint the hood. If your wife says anything, tell her you did this to reduce sun glare.

Reply to
lein

I've had good luck with this product on touch up paint spots on my RX-7:

searn

Mercellus Bohren wrote in news:1475698e-4ee5-44c8- snipped-for-privacy@34g2000hsh.googlegroups.com:

Just how "hearing impaired" are you"?

Reply to
Tegger

"Tegger" wrote

He can hear a fly landing on a babbling brook.

--Tedward

Reply to
Edward M. Kennedy

Mercellus, I am totally sympathetic to this, but the bottom line is that you need to get local prices for this work, which presumably you will be getting done locally. My suggestion, as someone intimately familiar with your circumstances, is to get local prices from several body shops and then post back here with your results to see how they might compare. Make sure they are truly comparable (how many hours of labor, etc.).

Even better would be to ask friends and colleagues whom they've used for similar work, especially if they were happy with the businesses years after the work was done.

Your quest is a lot easier than mine: I'm getting prices for a driveway resurfacing job, and I'm having a hard time determining which contractors are reliable (this particular line of business is like roofing: full of disreputable characters). JoeSpareBedroom: can you tell me if Tumia Paving is a reliable business? I am avoiding Tandoi based on a couple of suggestions, but I can find nothing on Tumia, and I don't want to be seduced by the nice older couple that came over to give their price last night....

Reply to
KLS

KLS wrote in news:3kdv84la7reqit06ka3kplnuldhfn18261@

4ax.com:

Don't be. At least not until he gives some sort of details about his "impairment".

Reply to
Tegger

I have a friend who's totally deaf. We talk on the phone anyway, using a relay service.

Reply to
Doug Miller