Auto transmission advice sought

I just bought a used '87 Toyota PU with an automatic transmission with overdrive. It seems to shift from 2nd to 3rd later than I would expect. If I accelerate very slowly it shifts to 3rd at about 38 MPH. I can drive at a constant speed at 36-38 and it will stay in 2nd gear. There is a noticable jerk on shifting 2nd to 3rd; not serious, but more than there should be. 1st to 2nd is find and overdrive and kickdown seem to function as they should. What does this suggest to the transmission experts on this group?

The truck has 200,000 miles on it and has been pretty well maintained most of its life. I got service records back to 1991. Transmission fluid levels have been reugalrly checked and changed several times. It had a transmission service about 30,000 miles ago at a transmission shop that appears to consist of change of fluid and inspection of function that found no issues.

Thanks for any advice and information.

Jon Splane

Reply to
Jon Splane

If it shifts from 2nd to 3rd later than you would normally expect then it's most likely the transmission shift timing cable. This cable goes from the throttle body to the transmission. I'm not certain if yours has one but I'm almost certain it's a shift timing problem. Just loosen it out a bit.

Reply to
B Squareman

No expert here, but if your transmission has an internal vacuum modulator check the hose that goes to it from the intake. If that hose is cracked or missing (= no vacuum) it will behave this way.

Reply to
Ryan Underwood