Auto Transmission dipstick cant be read.

How do u read the auto transmission dipstick when it has almost clear fluid all over it even 3 inches over the full level?

Had the same problem on both 84 and 87 Towncars. The fluid is almost clear and it seems that the stick is picking up some extra fluid dool from the dipstick tube itself. Same problem if its hot or cold.

I can read the engine oil dipstick fine. The problem is just with the transmission fluid level check.

Reply to
J J

For many transmissions, you have to read the dipstick with the engine running, and for some the tranny had to be in Park. Now many things have changed, but you could always examine both sides of the stick at a variable lighting angle and detect the level, even if low color level made it difficult.

It can sometimes be hard with engine oil too, because the oil in the dipstick tube will often wet the stick over a broad area.

Be patient, take several readings, and vary the angle of the light on both sides of either dipstick.

Reply to
hls

This may take some doing ......try getting the dipstick ( Auto trans ) 'powder coated in Matt Black' or paint it, it will help you in getting a clearer reading, i know - i got my readings right after coating the dipstick.

Reply to
Vikrant.S.Gill

Mine is extremely difficult to read('94 Ford Escort) and I've never really figured out how to resolve the problem. Mine is supposed to be read in drive after being warmed up. Even if mine were powdercoated it wouldn't help. It seems that inserting it into the hole gets fluid running down the sides of the stick so you really can't be sure where the level is. What I do is to run the car to warm, turn it off, and keep wiping the dipstick and measuring until I can see it clearly before too much drains back into the sump.

Reply to
CraigFL

I have run into that before too, hard to read Auto Transmission dipstick.(of course, when the fluid gets ''dirty enough'', it isn't so hard to read) However, I wonder about wipeing the dipstick off real good and useing a piece of chalk on the dipstick,,,, would that make it easier? Or perhaps drilling a tiny hole in the dipstick at the full mark? cuhulin

Reply to
cuhulin

I find on some I have to turn the dipstick to avoid that. Some only slide easy one way, but can still be made to slide in almost sideways twisted to the easy fit.

Mike

86/00 CJ7 Laredo, 33x9.5 BFG Muds, 'glass nose to tail in '00 88 Cherokee 235 BFG AT's - Gone to the rust pile... Canadian Off Road Trips Photos: Non members can still view! Jan/06
Mike Romain

Always follow the manufacturers directions- usually you check the fluid with the transmission fully warmed up, idling in either neutral or park. This is the opposite of the engine where you should NEVER check the oil with the engine running, only with the engine off. IF its "3 inches over the full level" then you're obviously checking the trans fluid with the engine off.

Also, I find that it helps to pull the stick out, wipe it off, and then WAIT 2-3 minutes before re-inserting it to check the fluid level (leave the car running, of course). That allows any fluid clinging to the inside of the dipstick tube to drain back down so the stick doesn't pick up any fluid from the sides of the tube.

Reply to
Steve