automatic transmission problem

While I'm trying to fix my squeaky 94 acclaim (see other thread) I'm looking at getting a cheap car that has a transmission problem. They said that it locks into park as it should but when the shifter is put in any other gear it acts like it is in neutral. They said it happened when they turned a corner. Does that sound like your normal transmission failure or is that a minor repair? Thanks for any advice.

Reply to
Helvis

Are you looking to have two cars to repair at one time? Or are you looking for cheap transportation?

Who is they...???

Have you driven the car? If not you should do so to confirm exactly when the problem occurs. You might have a loose motor mount that is shifting the engine and transmission enough to pop it out of gear. You should also have a mechanic inspect the car to determine all of the problems.

Reply to
John S.

The description of the problem was from an ad. I have not driven the car. According to the ad the car does not move on it's own anymore. I was just wondering if a transmission tech out there might have an idea if this is a typical type of failure or if it could be something simple. I always thought they would go out a gear or two at a time and not all gears at once. Most ads you see say that the car in question will go in reverse only or it slips out of gear while driving. I have never heard of one that everything has went out at the same time so I suspect that it is not the normal worn out gears that is the more common problem.

Reply to
Helvis

It could be a failed CV joint.

Reply to
Mike

It depends on what breaks. There are some components in an automatic transmission that will result in the loss of all gears (failed input shaft, failed pump drive tang, failed output shaft, etc.). Some will result in loss of one gear (failed direct clutch), some that will result in the loss of all forward gears (failed forward clutch) some result in the loss of reverse (broken reverse band). In the case of losing all drive, tt could even be completely external, such as a broken CV joint or driveshaft or differential gears.

Whatever it is, the probability is that its NOT a quick fix or the current owners would fix it.

Reply to
Steve

If it's a front wheel drive:

Most likely an inner C-V joint seperated from the transmission.

Reply to
Refinish King

Dollars to donuts they already know what the problem is but are playing dumb in hopes that someone will come thinking they are getting a bargain and take it away. Personally I would stay far far away. If they can't afford to fix it to sell it how many other things does the car need that they couldn't or wouldn't do?

No offense to you but from your other post it sounds like you have limited mechanical knowledge. Find something that works to start with and have it checked by a competent mechanic before spending your money.

Steve B.

Reply to
Steve B.

Actually I am quite mechanically inclined but I am not very familiar with front wheel drive vehicles and have never had to tighten a belt on the Acclaim. So when there was no description of what I was looking for in the Haynes book, I came here hoping to find someone that could tell me. I've changed engines, transmissions, water pumps, alternators and just about everything else on rear wheel drive vehicles but I've only had to do a few things on the Acclaim (ignition switch, radiator, thermostat, wheel bearing, brakes). I have driven a truck for the last 20 years and before that all my cars were rear wheel drive. The Acclaim is my girlfriends car.

The total price for the above car in question was $300 so even if the transmission was completely shot, there isn't much to lose. I was just seeing if it was worth the effort.

If I decide to gamble on it, I'll come back with actual information about the vehicle. Thanks to those of you who answered my question about the transmission issues. I appreciate it.

Reply to
Helvis

I'll second that!

Reply to