Automotive Brake Line Repair

I've encountered several splice repairs made with a Dorman brand compression fitting on automotive steel brake line. I was trained this was not an acceptable or legal method of repair. I've found the DOT regulation regarding splicing of tubing which states all fittings must meet SAE Standard J512. This I can not find. Anyone familiar with the SAE Standard and whether it allows for the use of compression fittings as opposed to double flared fittings?

Reply to
Lefty

they are illegal in PA.

Reply to
jfrancis311

That's a pretty scary discovery. I am surprised they don't leak from the get go.

It's not like flaring the end and using a union is all that difficult.

Reply to
Brent P

Just get the generic steel replacement lines with the fittings already on them and bend them to fit. That's what i did on my old truck.

Bob

Reply to
Bob Urz

Same in NY

Reply to
Steve W.

i wouldn't use compression fitings..1 reason is if theres 1 weak place in line theres another 1..i always ran the whole brake line just to be safe..

Reply to
Scrapper

Actually I once had a leak in the line that runs to the rear brakes. Turned out to be a very isolated bit of rust once I had pulled it all out. Couldn't buy a piece of tubing long enough to replace the whole thing so I just replaced a section of it, using proper fittings.

Reply to
Brent P