Autozone- illegal bait & switch advertising?

I went to the Autozone website and found a power steering pressure hose for a 1977 Ford F-250 with a 351 engine for $16.99. When I went to the store to purchase it, they had a different brand in their computer for $19.99. Their computer did not show the less expensive brand. They told me that it was because the cheaper one is only available online. Does anyone know this to be true? Has anyone had a similar experience? I assumed that whatever Autozone advertised on their webpage was representative of what their retail stores carried.

Yes I have heard of this recently dealing with some other stores.

If you have the part number for the item, they normally can get it from the back but it isn't out front for the 'public' or in that public database.

Some places will also sell you the part if you bring in the printed webpage for the specials.

It's intended to promote their online sales.

Mike

Mike Romain

Good old auto zone. Most will ask you if you want the cheap or cheaper one and cry there eyeballs out if they do not have the cheaper one in stock. But you usually get what you pay for. I would perfer to get the better OEM type stuff. The good stuff only hurts one time. The elcheapo cheaper stuff may bite you in the rear many times. MT

Reply to
MT-2500

It happens. Many companies besides AutoZone offer online "specials" that are mailed out of their warehouse. Computer places are famous for that.

Reply to
« Paul »

Why would you assume everything on the website is available in the store? When you go to their web site you pick your local store then pick your part. It plainly shows which items are available in the store and which ones are available online.

It is relatively easy for any company to sell items via their website that they do not stock and from vendors they don't normally order from. You place the order and the your item is shipped by the outside vendor to your door step and YOU pay the shipping on it so they can sell that item at a better price than they could if their people had to handle it and they had to pay to get it to the store.

Steve B.

Reply to
Steve B.

i recently had this issue with advance auto parts i looked up a clutch and flywheel set for my car and online it was posted at $260. when i went to the store to pick it up i gave them the part number and it was over $400 so i went home printed out the price and part number and brought it over there and the manager sold it to me at $260

Reply to
greasemonkey19

You should have ordered online if that is what you wanted. Lots of things are internet only.

They have done nothing wrong.

Reply to
<HLS

Well, while not illegal, it is in my opinion, a very poor business practice. I live in a small town about 30 miles outside of a major city (not very major). The local auto parts competition is a NAPA, AutoZone and a local independant parts store. I used to go to Autozone for all of my parts figuring they were cheaper than NAPA and had a decent warrantee even if there parts were inferior. That is, until I found out Autozone has a "city" price and a "local store" price. The "city" price being much lower, sometimes less than half the "local price". It seems that they base their prices on the local competition, even though I can go to any of my local NAPA stores and pay the exact same price at ALL of them. I have found that you can ask for the city price (the lower price), but they won't offer it freely, on any in-stock items. If they have to order the part, they can't give you the lower price. A case in point: I went in one Friday afternoon to get an A/C compressor for my Buick. Their price $465.00 and it wouldn't be in until Tuesday. They checked the "sister" stores (other local Autozones) and found one 20 minutes away that had the exact same compressor in stock for $325. I figured I would check the local NAPA and if the compressor was more, I would take the 20 minute ride to get it at Autozone for $325. Well, much to my surprise NAPA had one (the SAME brand Autozone had) for $221 and would have it by 8:00am Saturday morning (the next day, less than 15 hours). Personally, I think it is a scam. The overhead in my Autozone has to be less than half that of the "city" store. Not to mention the shrinkage (loss to do theft, etc..) is nil in my local store. Plus the help is paid considerably less at my local store. From now on, I will buy my consumable parts, i.e. brake pads, etc.. at Autozone because of the warrantee, but will not buy anything else there until they change their pricing practices in my local store. I don't see any reason why i should pay a lot more for the exact same parts I can get in the "city" for less than half the cost. Do this for some fun: go to Autozone's website and punch in a few different zipcodes in your area, be sure to include some in the "city" and some outside the "city". Then check the prices, every store will be slightly different....

Reply to
dewaynep

I havent noticed this practice, but there are ways around it. If you find it online for a price you want, order it at that price for pickup in the store. Take your paperwork with you when you go. (I believe you can still do this at Autozone)

The NAPA compressor you mention is a rebuilt. They are probably pretty good, but all have failures from time to time.

I just ordered a brand new Seltec compressor from

for something less than $200. I am told that these are first class compressors. Some suggest they are better than OEM, but I will have to try it and see.

Also, I just ordered a blower motor which has been quoted at several sites for $300, and I found a replacement on the net for $75.

The point is, prices vary a lot and, the customer always has to be very careful when buying. Dont assume anything. Check several sources.

Reply to
<HLS

I just went through that with Advance Auto also. According to the store the online prices are from PartsAmerica which is associated with Advance Auto. If you order online and pick it up at the store you'll get it for the cheaper price (generally in 1 day) but the store price is different. As in the other post, it is geared to increase online sales. If you choose to order make sure you check the box for store pickup next day otherwise it will be shipped to you in a week.

j wrote:

Reply to
putercop

Sears and Roebuck has a catalog with consistent pricing. What is the difference?

Reply to
<HLS

No, I dont believe this qualifies as 'price fixing'.

Price fixing has much more serious undertones and is well defined in law.

Reply to
<HLS