bad battery installation

My son inadvertantly installed a new battery in our project - 1982 BMW

528e - backwards. In this reversed polarity situation, he tried several times to start the car. When I got home from work, I discovered the error, removed and reinstalled the battery. Much to my surprise, the car started and ran until I turned the ignition off. Unfortunately, the battery charging light came on (probably was on before I started the car and I didn't notice...). I pulled all the fuses one by one; no change. I disconnected the negative, disconnected the alternator, reconnected the battery and no light. So the question is: rebuilt alternator or change the diodes (how hard is this?)? Thanks, Mark
Reply to
mark

Mike Behnke

Reply to
<rusto11

That usually pops a fuse link or two.

The alternator is protected by a fuse link and they almost always blow out when the battery is hooked wrong.

The fuse links are a fat soft wire about 8" long with a big rubber crimp on one end and a loop for a bolt on the other. They are usually near the starter solenoid or the power distribution box and are usually at the end of the main positive battery cable.

Mike

mark wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain