Bad connection in headlamp electrical connector

I have a 97 Accord (190K miles). 1/2 the nights my drivers side headlamp goes out. The bulb is fine. It seems to be the connector that clips on the bulb. Jiggling the connector does nothing. However if I remove the connector from the bulb and reconnect, the light works fine again (until enough vibration or temperature change breaks the connection). I sprayed the connector contacts a few times with contact cleaner, letting it soak in. No luck. While I would like to replace the connector, a replacement including the pig tail are on the pricey side. And getting my hands in that tight space to splice a new connector will be difficult at best. Is there a type of conductive grease that I could try to fill in the small gap that is forming inside the connection? Any other quick fix ideas? Thanks

Reply to
techman41973

Maybe your get a change when you tighter the contacts by using a plies or some thing. Ones you clean it chemical so I think a grease doesn't help.

Important is to get booth sides of this connection clean ? on the bulb too.

Regards,

Ralf

Reply to
Ralf Ballis

Reply to
Mike Walsh

Some times bulbs don't burn out but the filament breaks and makes intermittent contact. I'd try a new bulb or swap with the other side to test.

Reply to
Scott Buchanan

It's a common problem because many of the Honda headlamp connectors have two little triangles on them, and we're supposed to know that unless we 'pinch' the sucker on the triangles, it's not going to release the lamp. Wiggling and yanking just messes up the tension in the brass lugs inside the connector. Slip the plastic hood apart (draw a diagram first) then use fine needle nose pliers to carefully scrunch the lugs tighter, then reassemble.

If you're in Canada and have DRL, your problem may be WAY more complicated (but you've probably screwed up your connectors anyway).

'Curly'

Reply to
'Curly Q. Links'