Bank1 lean - Ford 96 2.0 Contour Will pay $$$ for help!!

I will send the correct user 25 bucks if you can diagnose my problem.

Time line:

Car runs like poop, I changed Fuel filter, plugs, wires and air filter. None of that worked. So the good folks at Auto Zone ran a test and concluded that " Bank 1 Lean " was my problem and sold me a $60 O2 sensor which did not help the problem. Now there is a list of about 10 different things they want me to buy to see if they may help. TPS MAF ect.

Do you have any Ideas?

PLEASE!!!! I do not want to spend a thousand dollars in sensors before I find out which one it is.

Reply to
Walking man

DPFE (Differential Pressure Feedback EGR) Sensor. It is a sensor that measures the difference in pressure across a calibrated orifice in the EGR line. By measuring the pressure drop across that orifice, the computer can calculate how much exhaust gas is flowing through the EGR (exhaust gas recirculation) valve, and adjust the amount of vacuum (in the time domain) it provides to the EGR valve.

My 2000 Focus 2.0 Zetec has the same problem.

If you are serious about the $25 offer, I accept PayPal...

replace tiny.net with visi.com to reply

Reply to
Mark Olson

Yep, I would GUESS the same thing I think. My expedition had a bank lean code and it turned out to be (as the mechanic told me) a "barometric pressure sensor". Which sounds an awful lot like the sensor the previous poster described. Oddly, the expedition ran just fine-only the check engine light was on.

--Dan

Reply to
dg

Although the DPFE and the MAP (Manifold Absolute Pressure) sensors both measure pressure, the DPFE doesn't care what the barometric pressure is, it only measures the Difference in pressure between two ports on the EGR tube. The MAP sensor actually measures the pressure (what the weatherman is talking about when he says 29.92 mm of Hg) in the intake manifold. At WOT the manifold pressure will be pretty close to the barometric pressure (about 15 psi absolute at sea level) , at trailing throttle deceleration it will be fairly close to vacuum (nearer 0 psi absolute pressure).

Reply to
Mark Olson

Barometric pressure of 29.92 mm Hg eh?

That's one serious low pressure system, quite possibly severe enough to end all life on Earth

Reply to
Neil Nelson

*cough* Of course I meant to say 760 inches of Hg... er, nevermind all that. I think breathing the Hg vapor from my manometer, AKA carb stix[1], has quite possibly turned my brain into a root vegetable.

-- [1] Which I dropped off last Saturday at the local hazardous waste center. I wonder how much longer you'll be able to buy them.

Reply to
Mark Olson