Bar's Head Gasket Repair, another follow-up...

Well. It finally stopped snowing/icing enough (actually got near 50 degrees for a minute today) for me to change the oil on the Subaru GL Hatch that had the Head Gasket Repair stuff thrown in.

Pleasing results. I did not see any green around the gaskets where I had seen it before the 'repair', and after adding the oil and lifting the front of the car on ramps, with the engine running, there was NO seepage from either gasket! I was a bit surprised.

Hopefully I'm not jinxing myself here; the car needs to run for about another 45-60 days before I can take it off the road and have a look at doing a PROPER repair.

Or, maybe, should I even bother?

Reply to
Hachiroku $B%O%A%m%/(B

If the stuff worked and it ain't broken...

Reply to
Ray O

A proper repair is your best bet.Would the Model Garage have thrown in mouse milk? Would the auto factories be turning out mouse milk? I am glad that stuff worked good enough for you, I wouldn't trust it too far though.

Gus Wilson Model Garage cuhulin

Reply to
cuhulin

Yeah...that's what I was thinking. But, it nags at the back of my brain....would be nice to have a PROPERLY repaired car, and it's in decent shape...

Reply to
Hachiroku $B%O%A%m%/(B

Lulling yourself into thinking everything is fine and it wasn't just a patch-up job can be dangerous. At the least, you might get stranded somewhere.

Instead of retaining control, that is what a patch-up job does, gives you time to do the repair on your own terms, when you are ready financially or otherwise, have the time to do so. Relinquishing that control and reverting to being at the mercy of a broken part is bad strategy.

M.J.

Reply to
M.J.

What makes you think the "repair" won't last? You need to let nature run it's course.

Reply to
Ashton Crusher

I'm kinda liking these reports on the "holistic wrench in a can" products you're testing Hachi. Keep us updated. I hope it works for you until you can get the car into your "healing gardens".

I have an exhaust manifold to pull off later Hachi so I'm setting on the floor with my legs folded, Holding my middle finger and thumb together forming a circle and chanting ohmmmmmmmmmm. ;)

Reply to
user

I find making up my own mantra works quite effectively! However, the guy next door usually tells his kids, "It's time to come inside now!" when I'm not-so-quietly reciting my mantras... ;)

What car is the manifild coming off of?

Reply to
Hachiroku $B%O%A%m%/(B

LOL! I have NEVER had one of these "quick fixes" work properly! Usually I get some performance, usually very little, or if it does work it doesn't work for long.

Also, I only started doing my own work a few years ago (3-5) and am learning as I go along, and replacing a head gasket looks like a challenge ...perhaps too much of one?

I also have a '97 Legacy that is pumping exhaust gas into the radiator. Perhaps I should do the gaskets on that car first, or try the Genie in the Bottle stuff on that one...but the heads look easier to remove on the 1.8l.

Reply to
Hachiroku $B%O%A%m%/(B

That's what I'm thinking. But I only use this car for 80 miles a day, 22 miles from home at the furthest point, between the hours of 1-5AM...

and my AAA is expired... ;)

Reply to
Hachiroku $B%O%A%m%/(B

It's the chickens and goats being sacrified that he's fugged about. Hide them better next time. ;-)

-John O

Reply to
John O

It is a wise man who knows when to throw in the towel.

Reply to
Retired VIP

Well, I wasn't a sailor, but I could make a Marine blush! ;)

Reply to
Hachiroku $B%O%A%m%/(B

He don't know me very well, do he?

Reply to
Hachiroku $B%O%A%m%/(B

Well, no guarantees of course, but as I think I told you, when I 'fixed' a Peugeot with a bad head gasket with Bar's Leaks ( a five dollar bottle of the stuff) it stayed fixed for the next two years until I sold it...if it failed after that I have no idea. Good Luck, Hachi !

Reply to
mack

Yeah, I've been bearing that in mind! You used the other stuff, I used some stuff that's only been on the market for

Reply to
Hachiroku $B%O%A%m%/(B

Hachi, now that you mention it, I would love to break some Dells, except that I end up the one who gets to fix them in the end. Don't suppose you can make up a good story for me of why Dell chose to put XP Media Center Edition on this box of theirs that doesn't even have a TV tuner in it! :-) I'm supposed to fix it for a relative of a friend that I used to know through where I work, of all things, delivering papers, but I can't seem to pull an XP MCE cd out of thin air, and of course the customer can't find their original either! :-)

I'm glad your gasket repair is holding for now. Sounds like the good old days all over again. No time to do a proper fix as the boss seems to think my car had to show up for work every day of the week. I ended up buying a second wagon to take the burden off the first but that never panned out. Just ended up with more to fix!

~Brian

Reply to
Brian

Try going to support.dell.com and see if you can d'l the stuff from there. Probably not. And they don't like to send CDs out, either.

If it's under warranty, call them and they'll send everything!

That's about the way it works! Now one of the axles in the front is clicking...

Reply to
Hachiroku $B%O%A%m%/(B

If the equipment were under warranty still my customers would be dealing with Dell on their own. As for myself, Dell support usually tells me to go piss up a rope (in their ever so polite, Indian accent), so I have as much use for Dell as they do me. They have no interest that I keep their computers running the same as you are trying to keep your Subarus humming along. I haven't contracted with Dell for official warranty work since '97 and don't miss the joke they made of on-site repair jobs. In my unfortunate experience, Dell will only help a customer if they are the original purchaser or have been the proud recipient of a transfer of ownership, and although they are always gladly willing to be of zero help, please supply my first name, last name, telephone number, email address, etc., here is my case number, and have a nice day. :-)

Yup, I hear you there. I just had the passenger axle replaced at a shop because I just didn't have the time to do number 8 myself, so while swapping break pads the other day, hmm, sure as umm, heck, could have sworn that was CV grease leaking from under the outer band on the new part.. :-( Sigh, I'm gonna forget I saw it for now.

~Brian

Reply to
Brian

Invariably they are the wrong cd, or incomplete. EVERY encounter with a Dell turns into the "Dell from HELL"

Reply to
clare at snyder.on.ca