bars leak

Does anyone have any strong opinions on this radiator stop leak products? Do you know of any that work without producing clogging or overheating, etc?

***
Reply to
DJ

sdlomi2

This issue has been discussed endlessly on the forums at Jag-Lovers.org since Jaguar owner's manuals called for putting Barr's Leak (various spellings are around) in the aluminum block V12. Most forum members have decided it's a terrible thing to do because of buildup of gunk in the cooling system clogging radiators etc. At some point I looked in the Owners manual of my Buick Park Ave and found that GM also calls for it. Somewhere I read it is because there are unavoidable casting flaws in aluminum that make it a good idea. Doesn't make sense to me, so I probably am not remembering this very well. I never use it.

Ed

Reply to
Ed

***

Rat turds in a bottle....been around for a long time.

It will fill holes for a while as long as you keep the pressure off. Unfortunately it like the other stop leak products is not selective. My opinion is get the real problem fixed.

Reply to
John S.

***I've used Bar's for 40 years and for 20 on the same car and never hadit cause a clog. I do it going into winter to prevent problems in badweather. It will stop minor radiator leaks for about a year. It, noranything else, will fix a heater core. My best advice it that if youknow what's leaking, fix that ASAP and don't depend on chemical fixes.Bar's leaves an oily film in the coolant. It looks like rust. Any shopyou go to will suspect rust. Any potential buyer may suspect a headgasket. So be warned.

Reply to
Al Bundy

That's because it's nonsensical as stated. The correct statement is as follows: There are casting flaws in *poorly-designed and/or poorly-made* aluminum castings. I've owned many vehicles with aluminum blocks and/or heads, and none of them needed Clogg's-Leaks in order to remain leak-free. But then, neither of them was made by GM (known for doing things in a cheap and shoddy fashion) or Jaguar (known for doing things in a British fashion, which is effectively the same thing).

Reply to
Daniel J. Stern