Automotive Spray-on Belt dressing, pros and cons? (2023 Update)

What are the pros and cons, if any, to applying the spray-on belt dressings to a multi-vee belt? Does it get rid of a squeal? What is the liquid in the can, and how is it supposed to work?

Lookinfor Bobsyour Uncle

--

Reply to
Micheal C. Jordan

Spray-on belt dressings are a popular aftermarket product that is applied to multi-vee belts to improve their performance and extend their lifespan.

There are many spray-on belt dressings available on the marketplace, and their review ratings can vary. Here are a few popular options:

  1. Berryman Products 0807 Tite-Grip Belt Dressing
  2. CRC 05350 Belt Conditioner
  3. LPS Detex 22161 Clear Belt Dressing

Here are some pros and cons of using spray-on belt dressings:

Pros:

  • Can improve belt grip, which can increase belt and pulley efficiency and reduce slippage.
  • Can reduce or eliminate squealing or chirping noises caused by belt slippage.
  • Can extend the life of belts by reducing heat and friction.

Cons:

  • Can cause belts to become too slippery, which can reduce their grip and increase slippage.
  • Can cause belts to deteriorate faster if not applied correctly or in the right amounts.
  • Can make belts more difficult to remove for replacement or maintenance.
  • Can be messy and difficult to clean up.

The liquid in the can is usually a silicone-based lubricant that is designed to reduce friction and heat on the belt. It works by coating the belt and pulley with a thin layer of lubricant, which helps to reduce friction and heat. This can improve belt grip, reduce slippage, and extend the life of the belt. Some spray-on belt dressings contain special additives to help reduce or eliminate squealing or chirping noises caused by belt slippage.

It's important to keep in mind that not all belts can be treated with spray-on belt dressings, and it's always recommended to check the manufacturer's instructions or consult with a professional mechanic.

From an economic perspective, using spray-on belt dressings can have both benefits and drawbacks.

Pros:

  • Can extend the life of belts, which can save money on replacements over time.
  • Can improve belt and pulley efficiency, which can reduce energy costs and increase fuel efficiency.
  • Can reduce or eliminate squealing or chirping noises, which can save money on repairs caused by belt damage.

Cons:

  • The cost of purchasing and applying spray-on belt dressings can add up over time.
  • If not applied correctly or in the right amounts, can cause belts to deteriorate faster, which can increase replacement costs.
  • Can make belts more difficult to remove for replacement or maintenance, which can increase labor costs.

Overall, the economic benefit of using spray-on belt dressings will depend on the specific application and usage of the vehicle, and it's important to weigh the pros and cons before deciding to use it. It's always recommended to consult with a professional mechanic and to have regular maintenance checkups of your vehicle to ensure that it's running at its best performance.

I'm not aware of any independent surveys that have been conducted specifically to verify the benefits of spray-on belt dressings. However, there have been several studies and tests conducted by manufacturers and industry experts that have shown that spray-on belt dressings can improve belt and pulley efficiency, reduce slippage, and extend the life of belts. These results are often used to promote the products and can be found in their data sheets or technical reports.

It's important to note that the effectiveness of spray-on belt dressings can vary depending on the specific application, usage of the vehicle and the environment they are exposed to. Factors such as temperature, humidity, and dust can affect the performance and lifespan of belts, as well as the effectiveness of the spray-on belt dressings.

In any case, it's always important to consult with a professional mechanic or the vehicle's manufacturer to see if this product is recommended for your specific vehicle and usage, and to ensure that it will not harm other parts of your car.

Reply to
Motors Advisor

Stay away from belt dressing. It will not cure your squeal and the cleanup required to remove it is a royal PAIN!! Fix the problem. Usually a bad idler or tensioner are the problem. The steel pulleys are rarely the problem.

ch

Reply to
golden oldie

It's a vegetable oil, and it's supposed to make your belt more sticky.

It works sort of, to get a little more life out of a belt that is failing. If it's squealing, and it's properly tensioned, the belt dressing may help you get a few more months out of it before you have to change it.

--scott

Reply to
Scott Dorsey

The only belt dressing I've found that works is using a candle - hold it up against the running belt to coat it. Yes, it's dangerous, and yes it only works some of the time, and yes if it's a serpentine belt you'll have to do both sides, but yes, it's cheap to try.

Squealing belt = adjusted wrong, glazed, or you need to try a different brand. My Fiero would squeal with anything but the Canadian Tire house brand.

Ray

Reply to
Ray

Pros: None

Cons: Doesn't work. Makes a mess and is very hard to clean off

Not ussually

What is the

Reply to
Mike

replying to Micheal C. Jordan, Rick wrote: Just used belt conditioner on my mower deck belt. Belt popped off once and on a subsequent restart 20 minutes later the belt tore in two. Belt conditioner is great if you are selling belts otherwise avoid it. If there is an alignment, bearing, pulley or idler pulley issue this stuff will do no good and possibly make things worse.

Reply to
Rick

Hi. I was thinking about trying belt dressing again, the first time was many years ago, I do not remember what brand. Reading your comments I do not remember having any of the problems you stated, but on the other hand I do not believe it helped in any way. so, Pros, none that I can state with any certainty. Cons: the time it takes to remove treat and replace the belt, Cost of the product with questionable results.. Kelsey S

Reply to
kk6aw