belt squealing loud (timing belt maybe?)

honda accord 94 automatic.

I'm uncertain if it's the timing belt but I can hear a very loud squealing of the belt that's located near the driver side tire. I can see the belt if I stand beside the driver side tire.

I had my balance shaft belt and timing belt replaced at the same time last month. It could be them. I'm surprised that I can still drive.

Question: I am going to the mechanic, but should I have it towed? I'm worried it might turn worse. And what's the possibility the engine has been damaged already?

Reply to
kilroybass

The timing belt and balancer belt are cogged. They cannot squeal.

It's either an accessory drive belt/serpentine belt that's loose or misadjusted. Or...

If the installer did not replace the timing belt tensioner, it could be seizing, which can cause a horrendous noise. This is very bad.

Tighten accessory drive belt(s). Replace if cracked/glazed/packed with gravel. If noise persists, a tensioner is squealing.

Apparently smearing talcum powder/baby powder on the friction surface of the belt can cause it to grip enough to stop a squeal for a while, so you can try that to see if the belt shuts up.

If fiddling with the belts does not stop the squeal, better get that tensioner looked at. A failed tensioner will cause your timing belt to jump. This can wreck your valves.

Reply to
Hugo Schmeisser

Check your "normal" belts by trying to move them at the point that is the longest distance between pulley's. If you can move them an inch or more, then you need to have them tightened. On the same belts, look at the sides of them by twisting the belt. If they are glazed, you might get away with getting a can of spray-on belt dressing. If they are cracked, I'd have them replaced. If none of these situations are present, you may need to go back to where you had your timing belt replaced and have them check their work.

Reply to
BobW