Belt Tensioner 2002 Ford Escort problems

have a 2002 Ford Escort 2.0L My problem is that the belt tensioner keeps bo uncing back slightly making a not too loud noise, but noticeable clatter. I ts as if the belt tensioner isnt tensioning enough or the force of the belt is pushing it back. I replaced the tensioner and belt and still the same p roblem. Anyone have any ideas whats wrong here? AllData manual shows that i ts a simple procedure to change belt and that belt tensioner puts the corre ct tension no matter what. Im totally lost here. Would appreciate any help or ideas as what could the problem be. E.T.

Reply to
E.T.

well i replaced the alternator a few years ago..a cheepo from autozone. Maybe its the AC? However when the AC is turned on, you can hear the engine take a load and the clattering noise gets louder. It stops once its turned off.

Reply to
E.T

Put a stethoscope on the alt and compressor to see if you can detect anything. But the most likely cause is the pulley on the idler arm. Loading the AC pulley also loads the idler pulley. That's been my experience. You can squirt some oil in there (don't get it on the belt) and work it in by spinning it and see if that stops it for a bit. But the pulley bearing is "permanently lubed" so that won't last long.

--Vic

Reply to
Vic Smith

bouncing back slightly making a not too loud noise, but noticeable clatter. Its as if the belt tensioner isnt tensioning enough or the force of the be lt is pushing it back. I replaced the tensioner and belt and still the same problem. Anyone have any ideas whats wrong here? AllData manual shows that its a simple procedure to change belt and that belt tensioner puts the cor rect tension no matter what. Im totally lost here. Would appreciate any hel p or ideas as what could the problem be.

A new tensioner assembly a new belt should fix you right up. HTH, Ben

Reply to
ben91932

bouncing back slightly making a not too loud noise, but noticeable clatter. Its as if the belt tensioner isnt tensioning enough or the force of the be lt is pushing it back. I replaced the tensioner and belt and still the same problem. Anyone have any ideas whats wrong here? AllData manual shows that its a simple procedure to change belt and that belt tensioner puts the cor rect tension no matter what. Im totally lost here. Would appreciate any hel p or ideas as what could the problem be.

We had a similar problem with a customer who installed a tensioner.. come to find out his a/c clutch pulley was dragging causing the belt to jump.

check all other pulleys to make sure they are moving freely. also make sure you have the correct size belt. THe dayco # is 5060505 which should be a 50.5" belt.

Chas

Reply to
m6onz5a

ok i found the problem yesterday (not too long after posting my first query) the power steering pump broke down and started leaking oil everywhere. I had forgotten that the power steering was in the the chain of pulleys and most likely that was the drag being caused. Cause now...even tho there is no power assist in turning...the car is quiet in the belt area and the tensioner doesnt bounce back.

Reply to
E.T