Best air filters?

Who makes the best air filters? Can you assume the quality of the air filter would be the same as their oil filters?

Reply to
J J

OEM.

Reply to
Madesio

We've been using ACE Hardware brand air filters on our Johnson lawnmowers for 20+ years.

: - )

Harryface

Reply to
Harry Face

Purolator or NAPA. Avoid Fram.

Reply to
BOCE1

Hastings or Wix brand.

Reply to
m6onz5a

Air filters havent been as hot a topic around here as oil filters, and there is no clear cut and scientifically irrefutable information on the oil filters. I think we are at risk when we assume anything without proof.

Reply to
<HLS

Not that I disagree, but why?

Reply to
clifto

Reply to
Mike Walsh

Who do you think makes the OEM filters?

Reply to
<HLS

You might look at

- not 100% perfect, but interesting. Ed

Reply to
C. E. White

One myth we need to talk about is the myth about dirty or restrictive air filters richening mixture and increasing fuel consumption. This WAS true in days of carburetors whose float bowls were vented to atmosphere. But emissions regs stopped this, and bowls were vented elsewhere. In FI cars the mixture does not depend on ratio between venturi pressure and outside ambient pressure anyway.

If ambient pressure is sensed, it is sensed between AF and throttle, so a reduction in pressure there merely acts the same as an increase in altitude. Power is reduced slightly, but mixture is not richened substantially.

Not saying dirty air filters are good, but they are not as bad as they used to be in terms of their effect.

Reply to
Don Stauffer in Minnesota

Millions of auto oil and air filters are sold every year. Why has there been few if any independent tests done? Any theories or ideas?

Could it be that their performance is so similar that tests would only prove they are pretty much the same?

Reply to
J J

takeovers the quality vanished and they got a well deserved reputation for poor filters. I don't know about their quality now because I have not used any of there filters in over 10 years, since I had one of their oil filters that did not have any threads in it!!

Fram filters are just a good as others.

Reply to
Broderick Crawford

takeovers the quality vanished and they got a well deserved reputation for poor filters. I don't know about their quality now because I have not used any of there filters in over 10 years, since I had one of their oil filters that did not have any threads in it!!

That's just as true as the statement "Ford cars are just as good as Porsches."

nate

Reply to
Nate Nagel

Broderick Crawford wrote in news:465cb165$0$16696$ snipped-for-privacy@roadrunner.com:

Provided the FRAM filters are built to some automaker's exacting standards. FRAM is OEM to Honda Canada and has been for at least 15 years. I buy all the filters for my Integra at the local Honda dealer.

I wouldn't trust FRAM's own standards as far as I could throw them.

Reply to
Tegger

takeovers the quality vanished and they got a well deserved reputation for poor filters. I don't know about their quality now because I have not used any of there filters in over 10 years, since I had one of their oil filters that did not have any threads in it!!

Now, now, he didn't specify which others. Maybe he meant K&N.

Reply to
clifto

The OEM filters are generally produced by the same manufacturer as the genuine filters, the only real difference being the box that they come in and of course the price! On the other hand, aftermarket companies buy the rights to reproduce copies of their OEM/genuine counterparts, typically manufactured with the same machinery and materials but often not designed in the same manner, sometimes being inferior in feel and fitment. Occasionally some aftermarket companies may yield a filter that excels in build quality and performance.

Reply to
Madesio

Several companies (like Champion Laboratories and others) MAKE the OEM filters for most car manufacturers. They also make the filters for a number of "aftermarket"applications. Same filters in many cases.

If, by OEM, you mean you should go to a dealership to buy a relabeled Champion filter, then step up and pay your money.

Reply to
<HLS

Semi true in a sense materials wise, however the filters are generally designed_and_tested by the auto manufacturer that is endorsing them before being introduced to the dealership. The dealer tested stock is not the same product you would acquire at lets say.. Napa or Carquest.

Parts purchased from a dealership would be considered *genuine*. OEM equipment on the other hand can be purchased from most parts supply stores.

Reply to
Madesio

In many cases, these parts are IDENTICAL to the parts you purchase from a dealership, except for cosmetics. In some cases, aftermarket parts may be better.

I cede the point that in some cases dealership parts are the only way to go.

Reply to
<HLS