Best Practices

I'd like to get some thoughts on best practices when it comes to car care. Particularly, engine/transmission practices OTHER than fluid/filter changes (that has already been discussed ad nauseam on my previous thread). Some specific topics:

  1. What startup practice will minimize startup wear? Let the engine idle for x amount of time, let engine idle until test lights go off and drive immediately? Keep engine RPMs under X,000 until warm? Please back up your opinion on this with data if possible.

  1. How do you prevent rust?

  2. What is the best way to protect weatherstripping? I've tried STP spray-on silicon lubricant, similar to what GM recommends. Any concerns about this product or recommendations for better products to accomplish this? Has anyone been able to keep their weatherstripping nice for many years and how?

  1. What products have been shown to be safe for CLEANING vynil (particularly cheaper vynil) over many years? Armour All ruined the dash on one of my cars, and I don't really want to pay - for fancy Meguiar's stuff. I just want to get it cleaner than a damp rag will accomplish.

Thanks in advance.

Reply to
Ben Cardozo

I let it warm up 10secs to 1-2 minutes depending on the temperature, then drive it very easy until warmed up. I've read that each cold startup =

500miles of hwy driving. I wonder if a block heater used year round would extend engine life?

Power washer flush under the wheel well lips and anywhere else moisture/salt/mud could be trapped. Inspect and touchup any chips immediately. 14 years and zero rust on a 90 Integra in the Vancouver BC area.

I wash and silicone mine a few times a year and it is still in great shape.

I just use soap and water. There are many products that claim they will no damage vinyl. $5-6 is not that much if the product works.

Reply to
Martik