Best practices for maximizing life of auto transmission?

I have a Honda Accord with over 280K. Recently the automatic transmission seized (3 mechanics confirmed its lost) and since the rest of the car is in excellent condition, I'm considering having a shop replace it with a used transmission (which is cheaper than getting a rebuilt one). I want the replacement transmission to last as long as possible. The owners manual recommends replacing the transmisson fluid every

90,000 miles. Would changing and flushing the fluid more frequently help improve transmission life? How often would be best? Are there any differences in quality between transmission fluids? Anything else I can do to help automatic transmission longevity? Thanks
Reply to
techman41973

hmmm 90,000 seems a bit high to me.. I recall most vehicles want you to change the fluid every 20000-25000 miles. Did the fluid smell burnt?

You could also add a oil cooler to the trannie to help keep it cool.

Doing a transmission flush is much better than just dropping the pan.. If you do go the flush route don't forget to change the filter as well.

Reply to
m6onz5a

techman41973 snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote in news:cd84e59e-3f96-4de6- snipped-for-privacy@l24g2000prh.googlegroups.com:

What year Accord? Later models require Honda ATF-Z1 fluid.

Did the tranny fail because of the recent defects that were covered under the extended warranty?

Reply to
Tegger

Reply to
techman41973

techman41973 wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@k2g2000pro.googlegroups.com:

280K is "great"? Then instead of asking all the questions you asked in your original message, why not just keep on doing whatever you were doing?

You won't. 1998-and-up is recall territory.

Reply to
Tegger

In addition to draining and refilling (if you want, full fluid exchange but not "power flush" to stir up debris) every 15-30K miles (severe to normal service), Honda also retrofitted an inline filter to the ATF hose returning from the cooler. However, the Honda filter does NOT have magnets.

See Magnefine or ACDelco TF100M/TF101M (5/16" or 3/8" line).

There is a debate as to using Honda Z-1 ATF or alternatives like Mobil-1, Amsoil or other fully synthetic ATF. Just make sure if you use an aftermarket fluid that it says suitable on the label. Some seem to like synthetic blends like Castrol Import Vehicle ATF.

Reply to
john

Some people say to flush and change the fluid and filter, some people say don't flush, just change the fluid and filter only.I don't know which is best.My 1983 Dodge full size van has an original 146,000 miles on it.I reckon it is high time I do something. cuhulin

Reply to
cuhulin

snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net wrote in news:29595-4B7CC9F6-2484@storefull-

3172.bay.webtv.net:

For a Honda, solvent flushes are specifically warned-against by Honda. Fluid changes only for Honda A/Ts.

As for the correct fluid, the Owner's Manual says which to use. The OP's transmission uses regular Dexron-II or III.

Reply to
Tegger

The quickest way to damage a transmission is to have it run hot. You can ruin a tranny in minutes to hours this way. It is documented. You can look it up if you like.

A tranny cooler can help a lot, if you tend to stress a tranny in hot weather, mountain driving, towing, etc.

Another thing, IMO, is to keep the tranny fluid clean by servicing the unit and changing thte fluid at least as often as the manufacturer recommends.

On some transmissions, you can reprogram the system using an aftermarket shift kit. What you hope to attain with these is to increase the line pressure and decrease the accumulator function so that the tranny clutch packs activate quickly and strongly. Benefit...friction damage is less than with granny-soft shifts. Disadvantage...some dont like the positive shifts. These kits may not be available for your application...I never looked.

Reply to
hls

#1 - Don't let JiffyLube (or similar shops) touch your automatic transmission. #2 - use OE fluids - not only are there difference in quality, there are huge difference in composition. The wrong fluid can kill your transmission in hours. #3 - change the fluid, or exchange the fluid with a fluid exchange machine, but don't let them "flush" the fluid, especially a reverse flush , run if they suggest that. #4 - drive sensibly

Ed

Reply to
C. E. White