Best style stud extractor

OK.... in the ongoing saga of my water pump replacement I found out the Sears Hardware no longer sells stud extractors (or at least the one close by to me doesn't sell them).

Searched online and found 3 alternatives.... the old fashioned offset cam, one that looks like a deep well socket and the ones they advertise on TV that look like black sockets with a fairly sharp, and aggressive, "blade" that's suppose to bite into the stud/bolt...

Which one is "best"?

Reply to
swimdad16

I have normally used a whole mess of good penetrating oil first in several applications, then if it fits a plumber's pipe wrench. It grabs harder as you pull harder unlike vise grips that lock.

I have never needed or had much use for the 'fancy' extractors. If the part is rusty/rotted, they bottom out usually so just skin it thinner.

Mike

Mike Romain

left handed drill bits...they really work great mac man should have them

Reply to
Peter Griffin

I'm sorry to hear about that. There seems to be a lot they dont sell anymore.

I use a small pipewrench when I have enough of the broken bolt showing that I can get on it securely. I have used the type where you drill a hole and thread in the easyout...if you break one of those in the hole, you have doubled your work in trying to get that crap straightened out.

I just saw in a Popular Mechanics magazine a new design of removal tools. I threw the book away after I read it, but -of course - they were saying what a step forward this tool is. Might be worth a look.

Reply to
<HLS

Stud extractors, been there, done that, snapped it off in the bolt. Bloody hell, are those things hard...

I remember seeing, a long time ago in England, an alternative extractor tool. It was basically a high-speed metal drill bit, but "reversed" - ie it drilled counter clockwise, providing you had a reversible drill handy.

I think the theory was that the heat from dilling and the anti-clockwise torque would loosen and unscrew the stud. Never tried one - but does it ring any bells?

Cheers

Tim (in the UK)

Reply to
Tim S