best way to put new crankshaft gear on

I posted recently asking how to get the crankshaft gear off - doing a timing chain/gear replacement. It seemed really stuck hard on there and the haynes manual all it said was "use a puller". The only problem was - for those of yoyu that may have to do a job like this and never have - is when I used my 3-jaw puller, what happened is the center bolt just kept recessing into the shaft further and further, as more and more pressure was applied on it's bolt head, damaging threads on the puller bolt. That's not the way it's supposed to happen. And nothing came off.

What you have to do is get a real hard grade 8 5/16 inch bolt, that's about

3 inches long, so that when you saw off the head, you can put that little rod into the shaft of the crankshaft. The rod will come out to almost the opening of the shaft end and you can then use the 3 jaw puller to get the job done. The puller's center bolt can push hard on the rod and the rod won't budge because it is pushing against the back of the shaft, which is not going to give any. I tried using a steel rod that wasn't grade 8 and the puller bolt ate straight into it and so grade 8 really helped.

I got my cranskaft gear off but now I wonder how hard it is to get the new one on! I read that you can put the gear in the oven and get it real hot and that will allow you to just slide it right on. Anyone know if this is true and ok to do? Because otherwise, it's gonna take some real force to slide it into place all the way and I don't really know of a good way to do that, because of the limited amount of room I have to bang, bang. There's the radiator and the condensor for example that are in place and won't be moved. A deep socket is always suggested but I don't know any deep sockets that are 3+ inches long that I could use.

As well, how critical is it to align the little arrows at 6pm and 12pm? Is there one "right" position or will several be ok as far as timing is concerned? My plan is put the crankshaft gear on and then loop the chain around it and put the camshaft gear on with the chain already on it.

Any comments, suggestions?

Reply to
roger

The oven trick works very well....... works even better when you can put the part that the gear is pressed onto in the freezer... Don't burn yourself!! that gear is going to get hot.

Reply to
RickA

|The oven trick works very well....... works even better when you can put the |part that the gear is pressed onto in the freezer... Don't burn yourself!! |that gear is going to get hot.

Going back on is usually easier than coming off. Just clean up the crank snout with carb cleaner and leave it dry. Also clean the inside of the gear before heating. The new gear locates by the crankshaft key, so that's your one good alignment issue. Get it hot, slide it on quickly (oven mitt time). If it doesn't get fully seated, a brass drift will finish the job. You can also apply more heat with a propane torch. Don't forget to put the oil slinger washer back on after you get the chain & gears on. Rex in Fort Worth

Reply to
Rex B
[snip]

By all means, heat the gear. One trick I use is to use a Fry Daddy deep fryer, let it heat up fully, drop the gear in and let it heat for 20 minutes, grab it with some long nose pliers and a gloved hand and slide it on.

Very critical to get the timing marks correctly aligned at 12 o'clock and 6 o'clock, if you don't, it isn't going to run very well if at all.

That's the way it's done...

Assuming that this is a 3.3 liter engine, make very certain that you have adaquate clearance between the camshaft position sesor and the shutter on the top timing gear, this clearance is spaced with a carboard "dot" type sticker available separately from your local dealer. A match book cover cut out will also work in a pinch.

Reply to
Neil Nelson