Bled brakes. Will warning light go out?

I just replaced some leaking calipers, and bled the brakes (76 Corvette). Brakes are firm and lines are free of bubbles, ..but the brake warning light that came on when my problem started hasn't gone out yet. I seem to recall when something similar happened 6-8 years ago, the light finally went out after a couple of trips. Will it? What up with that?

Reply to
M.Burns

Some older cars with certain combination (proportioning and warning light) valves act like that. Not sure exactly why, it's been a while since I've had to work on one. I believe there is a procedure for manually resetting the light... have you checked your manual?

good luck

nate

Reply to
Nathan Nagel

I believe that's it, the pin needs to be reset. Had the same problem with an '85 Chevy pickup. The pin should be on one end of the proportioning valve and I can't remember the exact procedure as it's been several years. I'd get a shop manual and look it up.

Garrett Fulton

Reply to
gfulton

Thanks to whoever suggested I hit the brake pedal hard 3 or 4 times with the engine running. That did turn off the brake warning light. (There must be something that senses when the lines are once again able to hold max pressure). Thanks again.

Reply to
M.Burns